New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seduced by all the good words about 7 so installed Home Premium Upgrade on Dell 9200 Dimension and now find that my sound has disappered. The speaker icon bottom right corner has a red X against it. Troubleshooter cannot find a solution

According to Device Manager my PC is fitted with Sigma Tel HD Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5290 sound, video and game controller and confirms updated with latest and that the device is working correctly.

Can play Freecell etc and sample video works so looks as if pure sound problem.

Suggestions greatfully accepted.

Note a silver surfer with limited ability

Henry.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Henry' post='799486' date='23-Oct-2009 02:19']Seduced by all the good words about 7 so installed Home Premium Upgrade on Dell 9200 Dimension and now find that my sound has disappered. The speaker icon bottom right corner has a red X against it. Troubleshooter cannot find a solution

According to Device Manager my PC is fitted with Sigma Tel HD Audio CODEC 6.10.0.5290 sound, video and game controller and confirms updated with latest and that the device is working correctly.

Can play Freecell etc and sample video works so looks as if pure sound problem.

Suggestions greatfully accepted.

Note a silver surfer with limited ability

Henry.[/quote]
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Try going to Drivers & Downloads. Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista driver whichever you need.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='799537' date='23-Oct-2009 14:43']Welcome to the Lounge!

Try going to Drivers & Downloads. Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit Vista driver whichever you need.

Joe[/quote]

Thanks Joe for responding.

Been there and elsewhere. No help.

As far as I can find out Sigma Tel Inc stopped trading in 2008 and new owners also struggling. There is no longer any support.
    Looks as if no update for W7 available so new sound card seems the order of the day.

HR

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Henry' post='799552' date='23-Oct-2009 09:50']Thanks Joe for responding.

Been there and elsewhere. No help.

As far as I can find out Sigma Tel Inc stopped trading in 2008 and new owners also struggling. There is no longer any support.
    Looks as if no update for W7 available so new sound card seems the order of the day.

HR[/quote]

If you go to Dell suport, change your system to an XPS 430 you'll find a Windows Vista driver that is newer than yours. Two things to note:
    1.) Dell may have locked the installer so it won't install on an older system.
    2.) Even though Vista drivers should work on Win 7 it is NOT guaranteed.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='799553' date='23-Oct-2009 15:17']If you go to Dell suport, change your system to an XPS 430 you'll find a Windows Vista driver that is newer than yours. Two things to note:
    1.) Dell may have locked the installer so it won't install on an older system.
    2.) Even though Vista drivers should work on Win 7 it is NOT guaranteed.

Joe[/quote]

That made me think Joe. Woke up this am and remembered that when I got the PC a Dell Driver/Resource Disc
    came with it. Searched the house to the roof and found it. Nothing ventured nothing gained for as a silver surfer don't like tinkering - uninstalled completely the Sigma, put in the driver disc, found Signma and dowloaded.

Wooopeeeee I now have sound. Shakes head in disbelief that I solved it.

HR

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Henry' post='799766' date='25-Oct-2009 03:10']That made me think Joe. Woke up this am and remembered that when I got the PC a Dell Driver/Resource Disc
    came with it. Searched the house to the roof and found it. Nothing ventured nothing gained for as a silver surfer don't like tinkering - uninstalled completely the Sigma, put in the driver disc, found Signma and dowloaded.

Wooopeeeee I now have sound. Shakes head in disbelief that I solved it.

HR[/quote]

Glad it is resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe