Thread: Windows 7 help

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a laptop HP Pavilion Dv6324us. AMD Turion 64x2 processor with 2gb ram and Vista premium 32 bit.

Can I install windows 7 premium 64 bit then increase my ram?

Thanks,

Commonsense

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you search the HP website for that laptop model and download the maintenance guide you will see that it supports up to 2 * 1Gbyte RAM modules. So the answer is NO, this laptop only supports 2GB of RAM.

Thanks
    [quote name='commonsense' post='799505' date='23-Oct-2009 12:22']I have a laptop HP Pavilion Dv6324us. AMD Turion 64x2 processor with 2gb ram and Vista premium 32 bit.

Can I install windows 7 premium 64 bit then increase my ram?[/quote]

The simple answer is Yes.
    You would have to wipe the whole disk and start from scratch (usually called a "clean install"), since you'd be going from 32-bit to 64-bit. Have you checked with (say) Belarc Advisor, or crucial.com that you have spare slots into which to add memory?
    I reckon that you'd probably be happy with 4 GB of real memory in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - although running Windows Server 2008 64-bit in 4 GB of memory, with a Core 2 Quad processor, is a bit pedestrian...
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='799511' date='23-Oct-2009 13:10'][/quote]
    Ooops - should have picked up on the word "laptop"...!
    You could try it with 2 GB and see what you think, then start from scratch with 32-bit Windows 7, if you find 64-bit too slow... Assuming you have both flavours available.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    With only 2GB of memory there is absolutely no advantage to running a 64 bit operating system. It is likely that a 32 bit version will be more efficient (because all memory pointers are half the size).