Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My source is Excel and I want to do a merge into Word. For some reason this escapes me.

I want the merge to create a list (variable length). Sometimes this merge will have 10 2-line items, sometimes 30, etc.
    Do I need to create "fake" labels that are margin to margin or what? Hope this makes sense.

Result will be two lines for each row (column A and col :

AAAAA
    This is the first line

BBBXX
    This comes from Excel as the second item

THIRD
    Here is another item in the list

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try specifying Directory as merge type in the first step of the Mail Merge Wizard/Task Pane.
    Insert the merge fields and other text as needed in two lines, and provide an extra Enter at the end to separate the groups of two lines.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans (again).

I never used "directory" before. Works perfectly except for one thing.

When I filter the list from the source, I want the "title" of the list at the top of the finished merged document. The title is in Col A. The directory gives me what I want for the two lines (from B and C columns), but places the A column before EACH of the other entries. Is there a way to just get the title at the top of the doc and not throughout the directory?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-up...when I put the "title" as a header, the merge preview seems to do the trick. But, when I finish the merge, the header ends up showing the field code rather than the actual merged title. Any clues?

[quote name='HansV' post='799550' date='23-Oct-2009 11:24']Try specifying Directory as merge type in the first step of the Mail Merge Wizard/Task Pane.
    Insert the merge fields and other text as needed in two lines, and provide an extra Enter at the end to separate the groups of two lines.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That is possible, but it is not trivial. Our moderator and Word MVP macropod has written an extensive tutorial about that type of mailmerge: Word 97-2007 Mailmerge Tutorial: Create Sorted Listings (v1.52). Please read the tutorial document from the zip file first.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked at this GREAT tutorial some time ago and reviewed it again just now. Unless I'm not paying attention, I didn't see anything that would enable me to get the title from col A to be at the top of the page with the directory filling in the rest of the page. I tried a header, which seemed to work in the preview, but didn't when I finished the merge. I ended up with the field code in the finished merge rather than the title.

I would prefer, if possible, not to use a header, because I don't want the space above the header that's automatically inserted by Word. I'm using a 0 top margin to get the title at the very top of the page which eventually is turned into a PDF file.

[quote name='HansV' post='799561' date='23-Oct-2009 13:40']That is possible, but it is not trivial. Our moderator and Word MVP macropod has written an extensive tutorial about that type of mailmerge: Word 97-2007 Mailmerge Tutorial: Create Sorted Listings (v1.52). Please read the tutorial document from the zip file first.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You need the section "Inserting Text Before the Repeated Data" from macropod's tutorial.