Thread: WinZip upgrade

Thanks
    At the moment I have WinZip Pro 11.2, and WinZip are now offering me an upgrade to version 14. (I've not bothered with intervening updates.)

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade? I'm still on Windows XP and only an occasional user of WinZip.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    WinZip 12.0 introduced a new, advanced compression method, and WinZip 12.1 added the .zipx extension for zip files using advanced compression.
    The new compression is considerably more powerful, but it's not compatible with "classic" compression (which is also built into Windows XP and later), so you can't use it if you need to exchange zip files with users who don't have WinZip 12 or later.

Winzip 14 (there has been no version 13) comes with support for several Windows 7 features such as Libraries and Jump Lists. If you don't have Windows 7 yet, you won't benefit from this, of course. Apart from that, encryption is enhanced and there are some interface tweaks.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799581' date='23-Oct-2009 19:54']The new compression is considerably more powerful, but it's not compatible with "classic" compression (which is also built into Windows XP and later), so you can't use it if you need to exchange zip files with users who don't have WinZip 12 or later.[/quote]
    And can you save a file with the old compression for that purpose if you need to?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    WinZip 14 (and 12) can, of course, also create and open zip files with classic zip compression.
    But if you only use it for that, the other enhancements aren't sufficient to justify the upgrade cost, in my opinion.