Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is sort of a beta question, and I realize I should have more direct channels for information, but I thought I'd ask here.

I have Win 7 RTM already installed. I expect to have the final version fairly soon. Does anyone know if I can just slap the new on top of the old, or do I have to perform a clean install?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='799614' date='23-Oct-2009 23:46']This is sort of a beta question, and I realize I should have more direct channels for information, but I thought I'd ask here.

I have Win 7 RTM already installed. I expect to have the final version fairly soon. Does anyone know if I can just slap the new on top of the old, or do I have to perform a clean install?[/quote]
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...579(WS.10).aspx lists allowed upgrades, and specifically says you can't upgrade from Windows 7 Beta, Windows 7 RC or Windows 7 IDS.

I was under the impression that Windows 7 RTM was the version that shipped, so I am not sure that you need to upgrade this.

According to this forum post...
    The RTM ... can be upgraded to the final by simply changing the product key in the System applet in Control Panel. ... The RTM are recieving "Windows Updates' that should install any needed 'bug fixes' that make it vary from your RTM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    RTM is the version that was shipped. There is NO need to buy or get a "Retail" copy as it is the same.
    If you change the KEY CODE all you are doing is using a different license and have lost the use of the one given you for the RTM.

That said, if it is not a "Legal" copy of RTM, then you will need to change the key code to a legal code to have a legal license.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still in the dark.

My source posted the RTM version of Win 7 Ultimate on August 6, and I (clean) installed and registered it sometime thereafter on three computers. The relevant screen in control panel confirms that they are validated. All went very smoothly, and it remains so. Dave might be interested to hear that my one 64-bit installation is on an HP Pavilion a6235x, which may be in the same family as his, and one of the 32-bit installations is on an HP Mini.

I downloaded the 'updated' versions of both x64 & x32 systems, dated October 22, but all of the files on both x64 and x32 are dated at the end of August. I'd be curious to know what the dates on the over-the-counter installation disks are.

According to the upgrade paths in Stuart's first link, I can perform a repair-in-place upgrade to Windows 7, but that is just the current term (XP) Repair Install. It won't give you anything new, but it will fix something that needs fixing.

The one possible exception is in available drivers, and if I take the repair install route it appears that there is an option for drivers, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I know from the HP site that there are numerous drivers that you MUST get from within Windows 7.

As for Stuart's second link, Microsoft has made it confusing, but it may depend on your source. (My subscription paid for it in advance.) My RTM version is actually labelled 'Retail', so I already have a valid serial number for the software and its successors (i.e. this release), and multiple installations of it at that, subject to the EULA. In downloading the latest version if I try to retrieve a key there is none but that (I presume) is because I already have one that is valid.

I can't help wondering how many poor souls (both in the link provided and beyond) already have legitimate serial numbers and think they have to dash out and start paying for more at market price. This is a real communications problem for Microsoft, especially if legitimate TechNet Plus and other paying customers start spending hundreds of dollars on software they had a legitimate right to claim as part of their membership. That is when loyal customers turn ugly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='800355' date='28-Oct-2009 12:47']I am still in the dark.

My source posted the RTM version of Win 7 Ultimate on August 6, and I (clean) installed and registered it sometime thereafter on three computers. The relevant screen in control panel confirms that they are validated. All went very smoothly, and it remains so. Dave might be interested to hear that my one 64-bit installation is on an HP Pavilion a6235x, which may be in the same family as his, and one of the 32-bit installations is on an HP Mini.

I downloaded the 'updated' versions of both x64 & x32 systems, dated October 22, but all of the files on both x64 and x32 are dated at the end of August. I'd be curious to know what the dates on the over-the-counter installation disks are.

According to the upgrade paths in Stuart's first link, I can perform a repair-in-place upgrade to Windows 7, but that is just the current term (XP) Repair Install. It won't give you anything new, but it will fix something that needs fixing.

The one possible exception is in available drivers, and if I take the repair install route it appears that there is an option for drivers, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I know from the HP site that there are numerous drivers that you MUST get from within Windows 7.

As for Stuart's second link, Microsoft has made it confusing, but it may depend on your source. (My subscription paid for it in advance.) My RTM version is actually labelled 'Retail', so I already have a valid serial number for the software and its successors (i.e. this release), and multiple installations of it at that, subject to the EULA. In downloading the latest version if I try to retrieve a key there is none but that (I presume) is because I already have one that is valid.

I can't help wondering how many poor souls (both in the link provided and beyond) already have legitimate serial numbers and think they have to dash out and start paying for more at market price. This is a real communications problem for Microsoft, especially if legitimate TechNet Plus and other paying customers start spending hundreds of dollars on software they had a legitimate right to claim as part of their membership. That is when loyal customers turn ugly.[/quote]

There is no update version. The RTM version is the same as that being installed in OEM PCs and the same as is being shipped to the various people who ordered the upgrade copy.

Since you installed the RTM version of Windows 7 Ultimate there is no upgrade to do. You have the most current and the most complete version already installed.

Joe
    Joe