Thread: Post Numbers

Thanks
    I went to reply to a post, and wanted to use the post number, alas I cannot find the post number on the board.
    What am I missing?

Thanks
    Click on the 'Post #n' link, top right of the post:

[attachment=86166:y.gif]

and a pop-up window will appear, from which you can copy and paste a direct link into your own post:

[attachment=86167:x.gif]

If you simply want to see the post number, hover your mouse over the 'Post #n' link and the post number should be the last number displayed in the status bar, bottom left of your browser.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='799648' date='24-Oct-2009 19:05']Click on the 'Post #n' link, top right of the post:

[attachment=86166:y.gif]

and a pop-up window will appear, from which you can copy and paste a direct link into your own post:

[attachment=86167:x.Giff]

If you simply want to see the post number, hover your mouse over the 'Post #n' link and the post number should be the last number displayed in the status bar, bottom left of your browser.[/quote]
    Thanks again Lief, knew it had to be simple.
    Another forum member had brought up the fact that he could not get WOP 2003 to run and I wanted to direct him to a previous post on the subject.
    A further question, having the post number how do I jump to that post?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='799723' date='24-Oct-2009 16:06']A further question, having the post number how do I jump to that post?[/quote]
    There may be other ways, but the way I do it (if I'm not going to include the link in a post) is to hover over the post number thing in the upper right corner and right-click your mouse. You should be able to open the post in another tab or window. From there you can copy the URL and send it to someone. That's one way. There may be more...

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='799725' date='25-Oct-2009 07:31']There may be other ways, but the way I do it (if I'm not going to include the link in a post) is to hover over the post number thing in the upper right corner and right-click your mouse. You should be able to open the post in another tab or window. From there you can copy the URL and send it to someone. That's one way. There may be more...[/quote]
    What I am trying to achieve is to go to the post directly.
    Your post above is post 799725 when I enter the forum how do I go to that post?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you click on the Search option at the top of most (if not all) pages of the Lounge, you can enter the post number there. Just make sure no commas are used. 799725 in this case is not equal to 799,725.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ignore my last post. I did a search for 799725, and the search was successful only because you had referenced it. After further testing, I realized the method does not work.

Thanks
    [quote name='E_OGRADY' post='799748' date='24-Oct-2009 18:04']What I am trying to achieve is to go to the post directly.
    Your post above is post 799725 when I enter the forum how do I go to that post?[/quote]
    This takes an extra step, but... After you display and copy the BBCode to link to the post, click Reply, paste the code, then click Preview, then click the link. Hmmm, I guess that's 3 extra steps...

== Edit ==

Do you use bookmarklets? This snippet of JavaScript code will display a box where you can put in the post number, and then when you click OK that post will load:

IMPORTANT: You need to delete the space between java and script in order for this code to operate.

Code:
    java script:var pnum=prompt("Post number is..."); location.href="http://www.wopr.com/index.php?act=findpost&pid="+pnum; void 0;
    (It's late, so I'm not going to describe how to save a bookmarklet in your browser. As we used to say in Economics, "assume you have a can opener." )

Thanks
    Unfortunately I saved some post numbers without proper reference, HansV has previously confirmed that some posts were lost during the upgrade. Really with the new board the post number becomes irrelevant. (In my opinion)