Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm wanting to be able to show people how their documents are structured from Word's perspective i.e. according to the Document Object Model. Although this is very well documented in the Help files, I was hoping to let them see it "first hand" by analyzing one of their own "familiar" documents.

To this end, I'm hoping somebody might know of an add-in or some VBA code out there in interland, that could produce an object map, treeview or similar representation of a source document.

thanks
    Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='799663' date='24-Oct-2009 07:08']I'm hoping somebody might know of an add-in or some VBA code out there in interland, that could produce an object map, treeview or similar representation of a source document.[/quote]
    Hmmm, that sounds like a real development challenge. The locals window has way too much information, and outline view way too little.

I thought perhaps the file \word\document.xml inside a Word 2007 .docx file might be a close approximation, but the tags are just too cryptic. I suppose that for most people, saving as [filtered] HTML would also yield results that are largely unintelligible.

What about the old "View Codes" add-in for WordPerfect converts? I wonder whether it would be helpful.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='799758' date='25-Oct-2009 15:59']Hmmm, that sounds like a real development challenge. The locals window has way too much information, and outline view way too little.

I thought perhaps the file \word\document.xml inside a Word 2007 .docx file might be a close approximation, but the tags are just too cryptic. I suppose that for most people, saving as [filtered] HTML would also yield results that are largely unintelligible.

What about the old "View Codes" add-in for WordPerfect converts? I wonder whether it would be helpful.[/quote]
    I had similar thoughts to the above. I thought about enumerating (many of) the collections in the DOM and possibly using those results to populate a treeview. There is an addin that does a sort of WP Reveal Codes:
    Reveal MS Word document information and MS Word file formats with CrossEyes - the software that shows you the code key to MS Word.
    but its presentation is (necessarily) that of a stream metaphor. I was really wanting to steer people away from thinking in those terms, and direct them more towards the hierarchical tree structure of the DOM.

Alan