Thread: Win 2000 Boot

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I moved out of my house and had to store my computer. I wasn't smart enough at the time to make a boot disk, so when I set up the maching to 'run' again, it wouldn't! The battery for the CMOS was dead, so I put a new one in and tried to restart the machine, which didn't work. The power is on but the drives are not active. I'm hoping that if I get a working Win2000 disk, I can get to the drives. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the machine working?

Thanks
    What happens when you power up?
    Do you get anything of a boot sequence starting? (e.g. do you get to the 'beep'?)
    It could be that the BIOS has lost its settings and you will need to go in and reset/refresh the hard drives, boot sequence etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='799683' date='24-Oct-2009 11:29']What happens when you power up?
    Do you get anything of a boot sequence starting? (e.g. do you get to the 'beep'?)
    It could be that the BIOS has lost its settings and you will need to go in and reset/refresh the hard drives, boot sequence etc.[/quote]

No Beep! That's what clued me I was in trouble! How do I reset/refresh the hard drives, boot sequence, etc.?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='SteveG' post='799709' date='24-Oct-2009 18:55']No Beep! That's what clued me I was in trouble! How do I reset/refresh the hard drives, boot sequence, etc.?[/quote]

For what it's worth - I'm just a W2000 user who's been a fan of the OS for a few years - I had a similar problem reviving a machine that had been in our attic for two years. It belonged to our son who'd been at uni. We went through the usual - replacing the CMOS cell, checking all connections, using boot disks both W2000 CD and DOS floppy. Nothing - just the power led, the whirr of the fans. We thought that it may be hardware - started swapping components, starting with the power supply unit - and it worked.

Maybe worth a try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Aetius' post='800025' date='26-Oct-2009 18:04']For what it's worth - I'm just a W2000 user who's been a fan of the OS for a few years - I had a similar problem reviving a machine that had been in our attic for two years. It belonged to our son who'd been at uni. We went through the usual - replacing the CMOS cell, checking all connections, using boot disks both W2000 CD and DOS floppy. Nothing - just the power led, the whirr of the fans. We thought that it may be hardware - started swapping components, starting with the power supply unit - and it worked.

Maybe worth a try.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it try. I figured someone else would have had a similar problem and figured a solution.