Thread: sumproduct

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    In the attached file, I do not have to put quotes around the reference in column A, whereas in other files, when I don't do so, the formula returns an incorrect result. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The values in column A are numbers, that's why you don't need to put quotes around the comparison value (in this example 123).
    If the values in column A had been text values, which could include numbers stored as text, you'd have had to put quotes around the comparison value.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans. What do I need to do to make sure I am consistent? That is, how do you store numbers as text?
    Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you set the number format of a cell to Text, then anything you enter into the cell, whether it's text, a date or a number, will be stored as text.
    Another way to force Excel to store a value is text is to prefix it with an apostrophe ', for example '123.
    You can usually spot the difference easily: unless you have explicitly specified a horizontal alignment other than General, text values will be left-aligned, number and date values right-aligned.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans. Need additional help. Why don't the two formulas on sheet2 return the same number?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The OR function can't be used in array-type formulas - although your formulas are not explicitly array formulas, the use of SUMPRODUCT makes them so implicitly. OR returns only a single value instead of an array of values, which is what you need here. That's why the formula with OR doesn't return the correct value.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799841' date='25-Oct-2009 15:01']The OR function can't be used in array-type formulas - although your formulas are not explicitly array formulas, the use of SUMPRODUCT makes them so implicitly. OR returns only a single value instead of an array of values, which is what you need here. That's why the formula with OR doesn't return the correct value.[/quote]

Thanks.