Thread: WHS setup

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Building a WHS. I am thinking about trying to use a seperate or mirrored set of drives for the OS. And use a raid 10 (4 drives) for storage. Any comments? Did not see anything about this in the book.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That setup is discouraged by the people who moderate the Microsoft Windows Home Server Forum. They say that restoring a broken array is tricky to say the least.

I have been running WHS since early in the first beta period. I have had some problems, but with help from the WHS forum, I have been able to fix everything. I am running my WHS on an old Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with an Opteron 170 processor, 2 gb ram, and three hard drives. A 500 gb drive that the os is on and two 1 tb drives for data. I do use gigabit switches in my network, as that is the bottleneck.

You can use duplication to have your data reside on two disks. This feature makes a redundant array unnecessary. If the os gets hosed, you reboot the machine with the original install disk and it should recognize your data and give the option to reinstall the os without destroying your data. You do have to recreate each user.

If you run into trouble, the people on the WHS forum are usually quick to answer.

Good Luck,

Randall Davis

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Davis View Post
    You can use duplication to have your data reside on two disks. This feature makes a redundant array unnecessary. If the os gets hosed, you reboot the machine with the original install disk and it should recognize your data and give the option to reinstall the os without destroying your data. You do have to recreate each user.
    Agreed, the best approach. You will have to redo any updates after the OS re-instal though. No problem if you have the latest WHS release but as time goes on this can become a more lengthy process. If this becomes an issue then drive snapshot with Acronis or Ghost may provide the missing System Restore point functionality, but you need to manage it yourself. Are Microsoft serious about WHS? It seems to me an ideal system for the home network but Microsoft have never supported it properly, fortunately the user support forums are pretty helpful. I have now migrated to Win 7 on my server, it seems so much easier.