Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Dubt...
    I use a conn with ADO and Access db.
    When the db is in c:\ all work fast.
    But if i save the db on server all work very slow.

Now a friend suggest me to split db and copy one db on c:\ for all user tath use the application in vb and save the other copy in a dir of server.

This operation permit the user to work on local and when the conn is close all dta from c:\ update the database in sever dir...

or not?

Or, save the same copy of db one in c:\ and one in server dir and link the 2 table and this operation permit the user to work on local and when the conn is close all dta from c:\ update the database in sever dir...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could use replication to synchronize local and server copies of the database, but that's not an easy subject. Make sure you study the documents carefully before starting on it: Database Replication.

Thanks
    [quote name='sal21' post='799776' date='25-Oct-2009 10:25']Dubt...
    I use a conn with ADO and Access db.
    When the db is in c:\ all work fast.
    But if i save the db on server all work very slow.

Now a friend suggest me to split db and copy one db on c:\ for all user tath use the application in vb and save the other copy in a dir of server.

This operation permit the user to work on local and when the conn is close all dta from c:\ update the database in sever dir...

or not?

Or, save the same copy of db one in c:\ and one in server dir and link the 2 table and this operation permit the user to work on local and when the conn is close all dta from c:\ update the database in sever dir...[/quote]

I had a similar issue, with an Access Front End and Back End.
    Just the tables on the Server and the rest on the Local Drive.
    It works well until the Data file gets large when we had performance issues.

This may not be viable for you, but we moved the data layer to MYSQL, and linked the local Front End to the MYSQL Tables.
    There are a few conversion issues if there is a lot of VBA behind the forms,
    and you need to let the MYSQL Administrator convert the tables and change a few bits, but the performance increase was for us huge.
    Faster than if we used SQL Server as the back end.

Since the tables are all linked you can use DAO or ADO code against them.
    You can also run server side procedures although MYSQL is no where near as refined as SQL Server yet,
    but it is free.

Bit of work involved though if you went down this route.
    Andrew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've had a fair bit of experience with replication, and tend to view it as a last resort. The maintenance headaches associated with it can be substantial, and the fact that it is not supported in the latest ACCDB format make me reluctant to recommend it. SQL Server replication is more robust, so that might be an alternative to consider, but it has it's own set of complexities. Another alternative to look at is using remote execution software - examples are Remote Desktop as supported in Windows XP and Vista, or a product such as PCAnywhere, GoToMyPC, or LogMeIn. Access is slow in WAN situations because it generally pulls across entire tables in order to run queries.
    Wendell