Thanks
    I've used Word 2003's mail merge feature for years to create dozens of letters and directories. I've never used it to create emails, because I mostly use AOL for emailing. I also have Outlook Express and a Gmail account.

Now I need to send a series of customized "form letter"-style emails. Can I use any of my email systems to do this? If so, how can I get started?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Mailmerge to e-mail will use your default e-mail program as set in the Programs tab of the Internet Options control panel, or in the Set Program Access and Defaults section of the Add or Remove Programs control panel. This can't be Gmail as far as I know, you could set Outlook Express (or Outlook of course) as default.

To create a mailmerge to e-mail, the data source needs to include a field containing the e-mail address to be used for each record.
    In the first step of the Mail Merge Wizard (task pane) in Word, specify e-mail as mail merge type, then continue as usual.
    In the last step, you'll be asked to specify the e-mail address field and the format you want to use (whether the document should be the body of the e-mail message or an attachment).

See How to use mail merge to create e-mail messages in Word.

Thanks
    When I try to send my emails, it tells me that my logon failed, and that I have to log in to Microsoft Exchange. I don't know what that is.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Exchange is a corporate e-mail server. If you have a stand-alone computer there is no need for it. It would seem that you haven't set up your default e-mail program entirely correctly.
    - Which program is set as your default e-mail program?
    - Can you send e-mails from it?

Thanks
    Outlook Express is my default email program. I've sent dozens of emails from it.

I don't use its address book very much, but there IS an address book there.

My data source is for testing only. It has two fields: EmailAddress and Comment. I hope to send emails to each EmailAddress, each of them including the appropriate Comment.

So far I haven't seen a step in the Wizard or on the Mail Merge toolbar that tells Word that I want to send these emails to addresses in EmailAddress.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In the last step (step 6) of the Mail Merge Wizard, click Electronic Mail under Merge. (This option will only be available if you selected E-mail in the very first step, obviously).
    You'll see a dialog like this:

[attachment=86179:mailmerge_6.jpg]

In the To: dropdown, you can select the field containing the e-mail addresses.
    In the Subject: box, you can specify the subject for the e-mail message.
    In the Mail Format: dropdown, you can specify how the document that you created is used.

Finally, clicking OK will send the messages. I recommend starting with a small fake data source that contains your own e-mail address.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh wait - are you using the Outlook Express address book as data source? That is not possible, at least not directly: you have to export the address book to a .csv file or .txt file and use that as data source.

See How to use the Outlook Express Address Book in a mail merge in Word.

Thanks
    I've moved ahead. It SEEMS to send the emails to the addresses on my small "test list," but they don't actually go out. Instead I get some strange error messages from Outlook Express that seem to relate to something else entirely. I will play with it for a while, and come back if I need more help.

In the meantime, I've downloaded the Pegasus email client. I'll try using it.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA