5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Received my shiny new W7 DVD in the mail yesterday, and immediately set about upgrading my Vista Dell 1520 notebook. Everyghting went relatively smoothly after freeing sufficient space on C: drive. I chose to upgrade Vista, rather than clean install. The disk is partitioned: 30 GB C:, 110 GB D for data, 10 GB X: recovery. The free space on D: was about 16 GB before and after update (as expected). All my data files are on D: drive.

Using Windows Explorer, I looked for photos which should be located in D:\Users\Public\Pictures\@@NetworkSync in a series of subfolders named by year and month. The folder structure is intact, but no files are visible. Yet the files *seem* to be there because the amount of free space on the disk indicates they are still present on the disk.

I tried adjusting the permissions on the folder. Went into D:\ root folder and applied permissions for the Everyone account; all permissions are enabled. Then I drilled into one of the data folders, and checked the Effective Permissions for the Everyone account. As far as I can tell, my user account (Jack) should have full permissions on the folder (I know enough about the permissions to be dangerous, but I am not an expert. I may have misunderstood how it works.)

I use a Standard account. The folders were fully visible under Vista. The Public Pictures special folder had been moved to D:\Users\Public\Pictures under Vista.

Any idea how to make the files visible?

PS. Any help appreciated, but if you ask a question and don't get an immediate response from me it's because I travel for a while without the computer starting tomorrow.

PPS. The files are all backed up, so no loss if they can't be recovered but the disk has insufficient room to restore them!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Found the answer. Inplace upgrade moves the files into a hidden folder named $inplace.~TR, and it is supposed to move them back to their correct location. Something failed during the install process that left the files in the wrong folder. Just needed to show System files (Explorer Options), then move the files manually to their correct location.

Dunno what caused it to fail during installation...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada