Thread: Dialog box

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi -

A while ago there was a tip on how to copy the contents of the box. I think it was an XP tip. Now I can't bring up the correct key words to find the post. Someone, please?

My thanks. Acer

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How about Ctrl-C? Then Ctrl-V to paste in a document.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='799829' date='25-Oct-2009 14:27']How about Ctrl-C? Then Ctrl-V to paste in a document.[/quote]

I wasn't clear enough: I'd like to copy the [checked]Startup items in the System Configuration Utility.

Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='799831' date='25-Oct-2009 14:30']I wasn't clear enough: I'd like to copy the [checked]Startup items in the System Configuration Utility.[/quote]
    I don't know how to do it from the MSCONFIG screen but if you want a nice, easy to read utility, get yourself a copy of WhatInStartup. From within you can highlight as many or all lines that you want and either copy or send an "HTML" to your browser, which of course can be saved.

(If you use the copy option, I find it best to paste it into a spreadsheet because of the tabbing involved.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a method which is not the one I remembered, but which might help others (I didn't note where this came from. Sorry not able to give proper attribution):

Msconfig: copy contents: 1. go to Start/Run & type Msinfo32, press <enter>. 2. On the left side, expand "Software Environment," click "Startup programs". 3. Click on rt side & press ctrl+A (to select everything). 4. Press Ctrl+C to copy everything & paste it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='799858' date='25-Oct-2009 18:00']I found a method which is not the one I remembered, but which might help others (I didn't note where this came from. Sorry not able to give proper attribution):

Msconfig: copy contents: 1. go to Start/Run & type Msinfo32, press <enter>. 2. On the left side, expand "Software Environment," click "Startup programs". 3. Click on rt side & press ctrl+A (to select everything). 4. Press Ctrl+C to copy everything & paste it.[/quote]
    Boy, that's a BIG list!. That looks a lot like what you see when you run Sysinternals' AutoRuns. There's tons of DLLs and other stuff in there that I don't think most of us would need to touch or worry about.

I hate to be a pest, but you really should give WhatInStartup a look. You get a more "down to earth" list of "programs" without all the peripheral DLLs related to the running of Windows.