3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying, via long distance, to help a friend resolve some problems.

We are both running WinXP SP 3 altho mine is the Pro Version 2002 and hers is the Home variety.

Tried to connect using Windows Remote Assistance but she can't find Remote Assistance in her list of programs.

So I suggested a SEARCH. to see if she could locate Remote Assistance, but when she clicks on SEARCH the little dog shows up but there is no blue panel above the dog with a list of options.

As a last resort decided to try connecting using Windows Live Messenger but it Rejects her attempt to get connected for some ill defined reason about incorrect password. We tried REMOVE that version of Messenger to reinstall a new version but she can't find it anywhere in Control Panel.

Considering making a Boat Anchor out of her Dell.

Any HELP would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    [quote name='PaJan' post='799887' date='25-Oct-2009 23:33'][/quote]
    Personally I would install CrossLoop* at both ends - ignore all the rubbish about creating accounts and logging in, and click on Skip. The person at the far end gets a 12-digit number which they tell to you, you type it in, and everyone clicks on Connect, and "Yes, I really, really, want to share my computer with you", and so on, and you get to see their screen and use mouse and keyboard to do Useful Things.

* lots of other remote-access programs are available...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='799917' date='26-Oct-2009 06:15']Personally I would install CrossLoop* at both ends - ignore all the rubbish about creating accounts and logging in, and click on Skip. The person at the far end gets a 12-digit number which they tell to you, you type it in, and everyone clicks on Connect, and "Yes, I really, really, want to share my computer with you", and so on, and you get to see their screen and use mouse and keyboard to do Useful Things.

* lots of other remote-access programs are available...[/quote]
    Thanx BAT. We both d/l and installed Crossloop as per you instructions about skip this and that. We both have an access code but haven't been able to connect for some reason. When I click on Connect I get a 2 minute countdown while "connecting" and then it Times Out.

I'm not quite sure just WHAT window my friend should have set when I am trying to Connect.

If it's not too much trouble could you detail the steps. Either here in the Lounge or Email pajan@bell.net

Thanx again.

Thanks
    [quote name='PaJan' post='800028' date='26-Oct-2009 22:09']We both have an access code but haven't been able to connect for some reason.[/quote]
    Only the person whose desktop is to be looked at by you should have the Access code (in the Share tab, which is Dark Grey).

You should click on the Access tab (a sort of dull green), and type in the 12 digits which the person at the far end tells you over the phone.

Then both ends click on Connect, and Yes/OK for any other connection-type message, and you should then see the other end's screen, and be able to work with their machine.

It's not intuitively obvious, except on the second time you use it!
    BATcher

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='PaJan' post='800028' date='26-Oct-2009 17:09']Either here in the Lounge or Email XXXXXX@bell.net[/quote]

If the e-mail address in your original post is valid you may want to remove it. It could be harvested for spam or other not "nice" purposes.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='800064' date='27-Oct-2009 02:17']Only the person whose desktop is to be looked at by you should have the Access code (in the Share tab, which is Dark Grey).

You should click on the Access tab (a sort of dull green), and type in the 12 digits which the person at the far end tells you over the phone.

Then both ends click on Connect, and Yes/OK for any other connection-type message, and you should then see the other end's screen, and be able to work with their machine.

It's not intuitively obvious, except on the second time you use it![/quote]

YEP! That worked. I was able to take control and sort out some of the problems. However I did find that the CrossLoop system works VERRRRY slowly.

Much better that what we had

Thanx Mucho!!!

Thanks
    [quote name='PaJan' post='800110' date='27-Oct-2009 13:47']YEP! That worked. I was able to take control and sort out some of the problems. However I did find that the CrossLoop system works VERRRRY slowly.[/quote]
    Excellent!

The speed will be largely a factor of the upload speed of your respective connections, or, more precisely, that of your remote friend's connection. This may depend somewhat on the time of day / internet congestion. If she has a non-plain desktop wallpaper you will have noticed how slowly your copy of her screen refreshes.
    BATcher