Thanks
    I have a template with fields for name, date, title etc.

The template is set up (I thought) correctly -- all field placements are looking correct. But when I use the form, field data that should end up centered (the field is centered) is ending up off by a "first line indent" -- one tab -- that i9f I then go in and delete, corrects each wrongly placed field.

How come if the field in the template appears right, it then is (apparently) moving in (indenting) one tab?

When I tried moving the filed in the template, I ended up deleting it (as a field) and it was then just plain text (the placeholder label I had initially put in when I set up the form). How can I set up the form so that it doesn't indent the input, and/or how can I move the field to where it needs to be to compensate for this?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Word 2007 so I probably won't be able to assist, but it would be helpful if you attached a copy of the template, with sensitive information removed or altered. You must zip a .dotx or .dotm file in order to attach it.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799920' date='25-Oct-2009 23:47']I don't have Word 2007 so I probably won't be able to assist, but it would be helpful if you attached a copy of the template, with sensitive information removed or altered. You must zip a .dotx or .dotm file in order to attach it.[/quote]

Good idea Hans.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='799977' date='26-Oct-2009 13:30']Good idea Hans.

Chuck[/quote]
    Chuck,

Just created a new document using your template, and the 'first line indent' behavior you're getting, isn't happening here at all - all of the fields that are set to be aligned centered end up aligned centered, and the Running Head field which is set up to be aligned left, stays aligned left.

Do you actually see inserted tabs to the left of the fields when you create the new document, or are you just seeing the field results seemingly indented?
    If you click in one of the paragraphs that appear to have the first line indent, and then look up in the ruler, do you see the little first line indent marker over at the left margin, or do you see the first line indent marker moved in from the margin (for some reason)?

By the way, when you've got something like eight fields that need text input in order to create a new document, it gets old very fast when the user has to deal with eight separate input boxes in succession, every time they need to create a new document, as you have it here. This is a perfect situation to use a simple userform - all of the text input fields can be in one place, and the user only has to hit Enter once, to create the new document. You do need to use a little code in that case, but it's pretty simple.

Gary

Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='800051' date='26-Oct-2009 18:05']Chuck,

Just created a new document using your template, and the 'first line indent' behavior you're getting, isn't happening here at all - all of the fields that are set to be aligned centered end up aligned centered, and the Running Head field which is set up to be aligned left, stays aligned left.

Do you actually see inserted tabs to the left of the fields when you create the new document, or are you just seeing the field results seemingly indented?
    If you click in one of the paragraphs that appear to have the first line indent, and then look up in the ruler, do you see the little first line indent marker over at the left margin, or do you see the first line indent marker moved in from the margin (for some reason)?

By the way, when you've got something like eight fields that need text input in order to create a new document, it gets old very fast when the user has to deal with eight separate input boxes in succession, every time they need to create a new document, as you have it here. This is a perfect situation to use a simple userform - all of the text input fields can be in one place, and the user only has to hit Enter once, to create the new document. You do need to use a little code in that case, but it's pretty simple.

Gary[/quote]
    Gary, as far as the template working, harumph.

The three centered fields in the page center always seem to nee to have a tab (left margin) deleted, and then they are fine.

A userform sounds like a great idea, but I'm totally in the dark...

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='800052' date='26-Oct-2009 21:28']Gary, as far as the template working, harumph.

The three centered fields in the page center always seem to nee to have a tab (left margin) deleted, and then they are fine.

A userform sounds like a great idea, but I'm totally in the dark...

Chuck[/quote]
    If you're interested in looking into the userforms approach, you can find a quick tutorial at the Microsoft Word MVP site here.

Gary

Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='800213' date='27-Oct-2009 18:00']If you're interested in looking into the userforms approach, you can find a quick tutorial at the Microsoft Word MVP site here.

Gary[/quote]

Fabulous. Tahnks.

Regards,
    Chuck