5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is Outlook, or Word so I'll ask it here in VBA.

I'm trying to figure out how to automate sending the text in a word document to a non-static e-mail list, selected using a category.

It would seem that mail-merge to e-mail might work and manually we would (AA) File --> Send To --> Mail Recipient, (BB) Go to Outlook, (CC) Select the shared contacts folder, (DD) select the 450 e-mail addresses (after sorting by category) (EE) Ctrl-c to copy, (FF) go back to Word and (GG) Ctrl-v to paste into BCC field, (HH) populate the from and to (with the same e-mail address) fields (II) populate the Subject field (from bookmarked text in the word document) and (finally)(JJ) click on send.

Two problems (so far) doing this manually I can't identify the Outlook Contact folder (it is not the default folder in that Outlook inbox - I can see the default folder "Contacts in Folder - NAME) and I can't select the contacts by category.

Any clues to push me in the right direction on this?

Many thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't really need VBA for that. It's easiest to start the mail merge from Outlook:
    - Go to the folder with the contacts.
    - View it by category.
    - Select all contacts in the desired category.
    - Select Tools | Mail merge....
    - In the dialog that appears, specify that you want to merge the selected contacts only.
    - Select the document that you want to use for the mail merge, or specify that you want to use a blank, new document.
    - Specify that you want to merge to e-mail.
    - Click OK.
    - Continue in Word as usual.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='799961' date='26-Oct-2009 15:40']You don't really need VBA for that. It's easiest to start the mail merge from Outlook:
    - Go to the folder with the contacts.
    - View it by category.
    - Select all contacts in the desired category.
    - Select Tools | Mail merge....
    - In the dialog that appears, specify that you want to merge the selected contacts only.
    - Select the document that you want to use for the mail merge, or specify that you want to use a blank, new document.
    - Specify that you want to merge to e-mail.
    - Click OK.
    - Continue in Word as usual.[/quote]Hans, thanks for the reply I'll try this tomorrow when I get into the office. I fear, however, that there are too many (over 400) e-mail addresses for outlook to handle. I made this post last year which described the problem with the same list of contacts.

I'll report back tomorrow!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='799997' date='26-Oct-2009 21:46']I'll report back tomorrow! [/quote]Hans, I followed your instructions and everything appeared to work - but when I went to send the e-mail, none of the e-mail addresses had come through (I also need to move them from the To: field to the BCC field, and populate the From and To fields.)

I found the file that the addresses should have been stored in and, despite I had chosen [fields to merge: Contact fields in current view] and the current view has only e-mail addresses, had all the contact fields.

I'm guessing this is the same problem we had last year - Outlook can't seem to handle "Send to Contact" or Mail Merge for this number of contacts (Currently 420).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you'll find something useful in Mass Mail Tools for Microsoft Outlook