New Lounger
    Thanks

Automating Access (Access 97)

Are there any utilities available that could automate the transfer of data from 100's of Word documents to an Access database? The data that need to be put in a particular column in the database have specifically named styles. I know this can be done relatively simply with Visual Basic but my knowledge is not up to the task.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Automating Access (Access 97)

I don't know of any utilities that exist to do that kind of function. Would it be possible to take the Word documents into Excel? There are excellent import functions for Excel. Another possibility is to save the Word documents in a txt or csv format. Both approaches presume that the stuff in Word is in tables and could easily be converted into a tabular approach that looks like an Access table. One thing to watch out for is if any field is likely to exceed 255 bytes. Good Luck!
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automating Access (Access 97)

Though this utility from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.helenfeddema.com/CodeSamples.htm>Helen Feddema's</A> web site isn't exactly what you're looking for, it may give you a headstart. Head to the bottom of the page for the code sample that may help.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=blue>~Shane</font color=blue></font face=comic>