Thanks

Re: Tip: Take a Outlook Note

Ian -

That's a HELL of a good tip.

OK if I run it in WOW?

Thanks!
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks

I'm a bit confused here.
    Running Office 2000:
    Why do you need a mail item open?
    I have Outlook (NOT full window) with notes viewable on the left pane and it works fine.

ileacy

Welcome to it. Glad you liked it.

ileacy

Hi Lief:

As I noted. This is not restricted to mail, it just happens to be the most frequent source of clips/notes for me. And, most people get their newsletters by mail.

Yep. The only real requirement is that the notes icon is viewable. I authored the tip to make it simple to use. Eg. You could open an outlook window and then resize it so just the notes icon was visible. Then park it off someplace.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but, the basics still hold. Using notes to hold snippets of information that you run into.

eg. I subscribe to various ZdNet ezines. One of them is download of the day. On average, I see something I want to followup on every other mail. So, I just copy the text re. the download and save it. After that I delete the mail.

Thanks

Gotcha.
    And I have to agree - it's a neat trick.

ileacy

Tip: Take a Outlook Note

When reading newsletters, ezines, etc. you always seem to find something that you want to remember or follow up. Outlook's Notes items are a great place to store and organize these notes.

Here is how I do it.
    1)Start Outlook. Zoom to full screen. Make sure Notes has been added to shortcuts and is viewable.
    2)Start mail reader from preview pane. It does not matter what you are reading, just, that you have a mail message open.
    3)Resize or move the mail reader window so that you can still see the Outlook shortcut bar and the Notes icon.

Now you are ready.

When you see something you want to keep.
    1)Select the text.
    2)Drag and drop it onto the Notes icon.

Outlook will automatically create a new Notes item.
    Add comments to it. Resize it....

Close the note when you are finished with it. Outlook will automatically save it in root of its "Notes" folder.

Go back later and review, re-organize, whatever the notes you have taken. I sometimes have 20+ items after a busy mail session.

And remember. This is not restricted to Mail. If you are using a Windows application and you can select text then you can probably copy it to a note.

eg. I copied a portion of this message from the IE window to a note as I was writing this.

PS: Tx to MaryJ[img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img] for pointing out that drag and drop was much better than how I was doing this. Nope, I am not going to tell you, but, at least I did not HAVE to write an Outlook Macro to make it work better.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ian, I don't see why you say the Outlook Bar has to be visible. I can just drag and drop the text to the Notes folder in the folder list or to any of it's sub-folders. I don't like to display the Outlook Bar because it just uses up screen real estate.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

He uses the outlook bar, not the folder list. You need something visible.

(i used to hate the outlook bar but am learning to like it. the advantages in using it would probably make a nice tip of my own [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

ileacy

As Mary noted the key is that you have to have something visible to drag and drop to. Using the Outlook Bar was the simplest way of doing it for me. As I noted previously to Lief, there are a lot of ways to vary the procedure. Yours is one of them.

In my case, I use the notes like an inbox to be reviewed. It lets me quickly go thru LOTS of mail. Take quick notes, with comments of what I want to do, and then review all my notes.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Been lurking for years....
    great idea - works for tasks as well with the benefit of being able to set a reminder alarm.
    BTW does anyone know a way to always have the alarm switched on in tasks and set, say for 15 minutes ahead of the current time?
    Best
    Peter Goldfield
    www.duckspool.com

Lounger
    Thanks

HELP! What am I missing? A great idea that does not work on MY Outlook 98. Is this only for 2000? I have tried to drag with the left and the right mouse buttons. I have dragged to the Icon in the Shortcut Bar and the Icon on the Folder View. I have dragged from the Preview Pane and from the full email reader. I have used full size and resized windows. And I have tried on multiple systems!

In all cases, when I drag, I only see a mouse icon that has the international NOT ALLOWED symbol, the circle witht the diagonal line across it.

At this point I am really "draggin" and frustrated.

What is the obvious point that I have missed?

ileacy

I am doing this on O2000 and it should work on O98 but I no longer have it available to test on.

Select Text in preview pane. Left Mouse drag. Changes to + icon over any valid drop location (icons or folders). Not allowed symbol over other locations.

Hopefully someone with O98 can confirm that it works in O98.

bush

You can use the notes drag & drop from the desktop also. Create a note and drag to the desktop. You can access the note even with Outlook closed. However, the note must be open to add information (again with drag and drop). Warning: the note within Outlook is not synchronized with the desktop copy).