2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So bit rot has set in -- six months went by -- and it's time once again to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows. This time, however, I thought I'd try to save all the custom settings, dictionary entries, and most important the autocorrect settings so I don't have to re-enter them again. Is there a way to save all this stuff that Word 2007 hides?

Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The QuickParts too -- every little speciality that Word has allowed me to save.

Thanks
    Perhaps I've become lazier over the years, but rather than track down all of the numerous folders and registry keys in which data is distributed, I probably would try this: Transfer data by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - Word - Microsoft Office Online. You probably should search around for gotchas and pitfalls since most such tools are imperfect.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, but I tried that utility a few years ago with unimpressive results.

Appreciate the thought, though.

[quote name='jscher2000' post='800218' date='27-Oct-2009 19:38']Perhaps I've become lazier over the years, but rather than track down all of the numerous folders and registry keys in which data is distributed, I probably would try this: Transfer data by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - Word - Microsoft Office Online. You probably should search around for gotchas and pitfalls since most such tools are imperfect.[/quote]

Thanks
    Microsoft may have published a knowledge base article listing the locations of files and settings in Word 2007. It did so for earlier versions. Google generally is the easiest way to search the MSKB.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Microsoft may have published a knowledge base article listing the locations of files and settings in Word 2007. It did so for earlier versions. Google generally is the easiest way to search the MSKB.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just added a post to my blog--the URL is displayed below my signature--that lists the locations of many of the most important Word 2007 files. (The information appears in a slightly different form in my book.) The list is fairly complete, though it might not be exhaustive. Also, it addresses only Windows XP and Vista, not Windows 7.

Hope it is helpful to you.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com