2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Office 07 on XP.

I develop and manage a Global Template and Workgroup Templates, all of which are out on the company network.

I would like to have some tools for development that are not available to users.

Is there any way to have Word mapped to two different Add-ins (i.e. Global Templates) that are in DIFFERENT locations?

I realize that Word will add whatever is in the startup location that it is mapped to, but if I put a second global template there (containing development tools), then it will be equally available to all users.

Any ideas or experiences?
    Stylus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could store your development add-ins/global templates in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Startup (if you have installed Office 2007 in the default location).

BUT... this won't work any more if you upgrade to Windows Vista or Windows 7, because you won't be allowed to store your own files in the Programs folder.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can manually map a global template in any directory by going to the Templates and Add-ins dialog and hitting the Add button. If you find this setting doesn't remain active after you close Word then you can add a simple macro to Normal.dotm along the lines of
    Sub AutoOpen()
    AddIns("C:\Work\Templates\myglobal.dotm").Installe d = True
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans & Andrew:

Thanks for your replies!

Good to know about Windows 7 - I will be migrating from XP to 7 soon... I guess the reasoning being this restriction is to prevent various malware from being installed in that location. But then, I'm sure the bad guys will figure out how to trick the OS into thinking their files are system files...

Andrew: That's a great snipped of code. After I left work it came to me that something like that might be possible. Now I can keep the dreaded users away from dangerous toys!
    Stylus