2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but its a start.

The owner of my company recently got one of those chinese domain resistration spam emails. I have calmed his concerns regarding the fact that the email is spam and is of no concern to us but he still wants to know if our company's domain name is at risk.

Here then is my question. If one has a registered domain name, ex. mydomain.com, does one need to additional register mydomain.com.cn, mydomain.cn, etc? It would seem that this might be a rather daunting process given all the possible country extensions.

My apologies if this is a stupid question. I understand enough to know that we had to register our domain name but I really don't understand the whole domain name process.

Thanks for any help and additional information you all might want to share.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Although internationally operating companies often register their domain name with multiple top level domains (country extensions), there is certainly no obligation to do so!

But of course, if you only register mydomain.com, someone else will be free to register mydomain.ca or mydomain.co.uk. In many cases, that will not be a problem, but if they use it for the same kind of business, they might lure customers away from you, and if they use it for questionable purposes, it might hurt your reputation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='800310' date='28-Oct-2009 10:53']Although internationally operating companies often register their domain name with multiple top level domains (country extensions), there is certainly no obligation to do so!

But of course, if you only register mydomain.com, someone else will be free to register mydomain.ca or mydomain.co.uk. In many cases, that will not be a problem, but if they use it for the same kind of business, they might lure customers away from you, and if they use it for questionable purposes, it might hurt your reputation.[/quote]

Thank you Hans. It is as I was guessing, it is only a problem if the counter registering entity is in the same area of business or, as you suggested, their purpose or actions are of a nature that might harm our reputation.

I will pass this along. I suspect that this means I will be registering a few new domain names in the not too distant future.

Ah well, at least I will be busy.

Thanks again for your assistance.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='800310' date='28-Oct-2009 14:53']But of course, if you only register mydomain.com, someone else will be free to register mydomain.ca or mydomain.co.uk. In many cases, that will not be a problem, but if they use it for the same kind of business, they might lure customers away from you, and if they use it for questionable purposes, it might hurt your reputation.[/quote]

My understanding is that the Registrars who maintain the domains are quite sympathetic to established companies who find themselves battling with people buying up similar domain names either to hold them hostage, or to pass themselves off as someone else.

Look out for the mydomain.info tld as well.

Thanks
    [quote name='Gfamily' post='800319' date='28-Oct-2009 15:23'][/quote]
    There are undoubtedly many equivalents to this UK-based domain search in the US, but if your boss wants to get enthusiastic he could be forking out $lots on an annual/biannual/etc basis! (Try to avoid getting involved in domain renewal...!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice! I see that www.batcher.com is taken, but www.batcher.co.uk is yours for the taking!

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='800337' date='28-Oct-2009 16:37']Nice! I see that www.batcher.com is taken, but www.batcher.co.uk is yours for the taking![/quote]
    Similarly for www.hans.me, but with a transplant you could have www.hans.me.uk!
    BATcher

Thanks
    [quote name='Gfamily' post='800319' date='28-Oct-2009 08:23']My understanding is that the Registrars who maintain the domains are quite sympathetic to established companies who find themselves battling with people buying up similar domain names either to hold them hostage, or to pass themselves off as someone else.[/quote]
    The registrar might be sympathetic, but they are not going to break their contract with the current registrant on your account. You will have to pursue dispute procedures if you want to take the domain away, and this can be fairly expensive.

Thanks
    [quote name='MickeyMouse' post='800305' date='28-Oct-2009 07:37']If one has a registered domain name, ex. mydomain.com, does one need to additional register mydomain.com.cn, mydomain.cn, etc? It would seem that this might be a rather daunting process given all the possible country extensions.[/quote]
    It's a good question. There are your normal business needs: being easy to find where customers are looking. And then there are your defensive business needs: denying others the ability to harm the company by being found in those places and using them against your interests. (There also are legitimate coexisting users in many cases.) So you may end up with more than one domain even in .com (e.g., company name, product name). But as you point out, this can quickly reach an uneconomical level if you feel the need to register in multiple jurisdictions, or in multiple variations (e.g., with "sucks" after each name).

To get the global picture of where your domain has been registered, you can use corporate-oriented services like MarkMonitor, NetNames, SafeNames, and CSC Corporate Domains. Of course, their goal in providing searches is to get your registration business, and their sales people can be quite persistent...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had belconnen-subs.com.au - I received a letter (from Australia, not China) at my other store in Belconnen offering me the domain belconnen-subs.com . I did a double take before I realised that it was not the au site. (My organisation does not like fanchisees to use their brand name in the url).

My wife works for a travel accommodation web site- www.takeabreak.com.au . One day I made a mistake and left out the first letter "a". I was redirected to a rival's website. When I pointed this out to then, TakeABreak were able to claim that url from the rival site.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhitfield View Post
    My wife works for a travel accommodation web site- www.takeabreak.com.au . One day I made a mistake and left out the first letter "a". I was redirected to a rival's website. When I pointed this out to then, TakeABreak were able to claim that url from the rival site.
    You may have a problem with http://<b><a href="http://www.takeab...co.uk/</a></b>, which is a Uk 'magazine'...
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You may have a problem with http://www.takeabreak.co.uk/, which is a Uk 'magazine'...
    And www.takeabreak.nl is redirected to the site of a Dutch travel agency.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    And www.takeabreak.nl is redirected to the site of a Dutch travel agency.
    ... which, when you click on the flag for the English translation, gives you a page which says "English translation not available".

At least MrsW's mob has "www.takeabreak.com", if not "www.takebreak.com".
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.