2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi folks,

My company uses Reference lists and cross-references like crazy and until now has always done them manually. I had hopes for the new Bibliography tool in 2007 (we're upgrading in the next few months). After just a little testing I've found it lacking. This is definitely a v1 Microsoft tool.

Here's my first question: how can you insert an "et al." into the author list? I've found that when I do so Word changes the "et" to an ampersand (&) and then changes the order so the "al" comes before the ampersand anyway.

Here's my source: Andrews, D., Scott, C., Sperduto, P., et al., (2004). Whole brain radiation therapy ....

Here's how Word 2007 inserts it: Andrews, D., Scott, C., Sperduto, P., & al., e. (2004). Whole brain radiation therapy ....

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beej

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have an AutoCorrect entry that changes et to & ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='itsjustb' post='800379' date='29-Oct-2009 06:27']Here's my first question: how can you insert an "et al." into the author list? I've found that when I do so Word changes the "et" to an ampersand (&) and then changes the order so the "al" comes before the ampersand anyway.

Here's my source: Andrews, D., Scott, C., Sperduto, P., et al., (2004). Whole brain radiation therapy ....

Here's how Word 2007 inserts it: Andrews, D., Scott, C., Sperduto, P., & al., e. (2004). Whole brain radiation therapy ....[/quote]
    Word has interpreted 'et al.' as 'firstname surname' which is probably a reasonable mistake considering it was expecting you to enter all the authors names so it could apply rules based on the style you choose to apply. It hasn't turned the et into an ampersand, it has abbreviated it to the first letter 'e' and put it after the surname 'al.' followed by a comma. This is exactly the same as how it has treated the other author names except that the last one has an ampersand in front of it.

Have you tried a few of the different styles (XSLT) which Microsoft supply by default. The citations with GOST... styles show that it is possible to include an et al correctly after the first authors name. Other styles display different ways of showing multiple authors names eg. APA style shows multiple named authors, Chicago style shows both authors when there are two authors and 'first author, et al' when there are more than two.

So I don't think the problem is the tool itself - more likely it is the style you are choosing to use coupled with the way you have created the sources. If there isn't one style there that satisfies your own rules for displaying both the Citations and the Bibliography then you will need to create your own in-house XSLT definition. You should be able to create your own inhouse style based on the samples that appear in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Bibliography\Style but when you have a look at the files in this folder you might just prefer to stick with the styles that you already have.

If you want to save time in creating the sources by abbreviating the complete list of authors (by putting in et al rather than naming all authors in the source) then this subverts the principles of how the XSLT styles have been created (and quite likely breaks the rules of those citation requirements). But it can be done by naming the final authors as 'et al.' but using a nonbreaking space in between the et and the al. A non-breaking space can be entered by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Space. Word will then think that you have provided a surname with no first name.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew, thanks as always. Yes, you were exactly right. It wasn't the tool itself but a combo of the style and my way of entering the names that caused the problem. And your detailed explanation (thank you for taking the time to explain it!) made sense of it for me. You truly are a great resource.