2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,

I am not sure if this is really an XP problem or an MSAccess problem. Moderators are free to relocate this post as they see fit.

My client has a multi-user setup that I think is only a LAN. He has the backend database set up on a PC. The directory where the database is located also contains the .mdw security files and a number of identical .mde files. The user on any other PC on the network accesses the database by clicking on an icon where the batch command specifies the locations of the security file and one or other of the .mde files, also a user name (User1, User2 User3, etc.). Different user names enjoy different access privileges depending upon the group they are in.

What is happening is that (1) there are long delays in Access starting. (2) Access simply freezes, although the idleprocess monitor in TaskManager indicates that there are ample resources to run Access and (3) once Access is running, certain combo-boxes and list-boxes, which are only selectors for records in the database sometimes lose all of their contents, implying that contact with the backend has been lost.

One of the delaying factors is the Anti-Virus software Eset, which has a reputation as a memory hog and whose command of the system, using 100% of memory at times when Access freezes, is pretty obvious, again when viewed through TaskManager. However, one would expect that once Eset has quietened down, control would be offered to other running processes. The external guy who carries out sysadmin tasks suspects that it might be a sharing problem between the number of users, as the total freeze usually occurs when a second user logs in after someone has finally got their Access going. However, this does not really explain problem 3.

Can anyone offer me any advice that will shield me from the broadsides of a desperate and panic-stricken client who really, really needs the system to record Christmas orders !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version and service pack level of Access do they have? There was a problem with blank combo and list boxes in Access 2003 SP3; this can be solved by installing the Access 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: December 18, 2007.

Furthermore, Microsoft Access is very sensitive to network errors. In my previous job some users were having persistent problems with Access databases (local frontend, shared backend on the server); the IT department eventually found out this was caused by a flaky network segment. Once this was repaired, the problems went away.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='jim_from_oz' post='800435' date='28-Oct-2009 19:36']Hello again, Colleagues All,

I am not sure if this is really an XP problem or an MSAccess problem. Moderators are free to relocate this post as they see fit.

My client has a multi-user setup that I think is only a LAN. He has the backend database set up on a PC. The directory where the database is located also contains the .mdw security files and a number of identical .mde files. The user on any other PC on the network accesses the database by clicking on an icon where the batch command specifies the locations of the security file and one or other of the .mde files, also a user name (User1, User2 User3, etc.). Different user names enjoy different access privileges depending upon the group they are in.

What is happening is that (1) there are long delays in Access starting. (2) Access simply freezes, although the idleprocess monitor in TaskManager indicates that there are ample resources to run Access and (3) once Access is running, certain combo-boxes and list-boxes, which are only selectors for records in the database sometimes lose all of their contents, implying that contact with the backend has been lost.

One of the delaying factors is the Anti-Virus software Eset, which has a reputation as a memory hog and whose command of the system, using 100% of memory at times when Access freezes, is pretty obvious, again when viewed through TaskManager. However, one would expect that once Eset has quietened down, control would be offered to other running processes. The external guy who carries out sysadmin tasks suspects that it might be a sharing problem between the number of users, as the total freeze usually occurs when a second user logs in after someone has finally got their Access going. However, this does not really explain problem 3.

Can anyone offer me any advice that will shield me from the broadsides of a desperate and panic-stricken client who really, really needs the system to record Christmas orders ![/quote]

Which version of XP? How many PCs?

See Inbound connections limit in Windows XP for more information.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again, Colleagues All,

Here are all of the relevant parameters I could think of.

Versions:

Access 2003 (11.8204.8221) SP3
    Word 2003 (11.8227,8221) SP3
    Windows XP 2002 SP 3
    No. of network connection licenses: 5

VBA References:

Visual Basic for Applications
    MS Access 11.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft Calendar Ctrl 11,0
    MS DAO 3.6 Object Library
    MS VBA Extensibility 5.3
    MS Excel 11,0 Object Library
    MS Word 11.0 Object Library
    MS Office 11.0 Object Library

At the suggestion of my client I reverted to an earlier version and when it worked, there was an unstated but implied "See!". However, I then tried the latest .mde file and that worked. Again, I tried the source .mdb file and that worked. Nevertheless,a little later, the problems returned. It would appear that the system does not like more than one operator on the system.

I did read somewhere that the default number of connections is 10, which led me to wonder whether the .mde file, the .mdw file and the database file, all of which are mounted on the server, would be consisdered separate connections in the eyes of MS Access. My sysadmin colleague does not think so, however.

In the words of the late, great Yul Brinner, who had what is probably the longest running single film/theatre part in history: "Is a puzzlement!"

Thanks for your interest. I hope this information is useful.