Thread: Location Type

Thanks
    If I connect to a wireless network at a coffee shop and set the location type to "Public Network", is there any risk that someone there will be able to see the folders that I have set to be shared on my home wireless network, which is designated as a "Private Network"?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    If I connect to a wireless network at a coffee shop and set the location type to "Public Network", is there any risk that someone there will be able to see the folders that I have set to be shared on my home wireless network, which is designated as a "Private Network"?

Thanks
    You will probably be safe, but you should make sure you have a good firewall and you should seriously consider disabling the shares when you are travelling if they contain any sensitive data.

Thanks
    Since it is my wife's computer, I can't expect the shares will be disabled when she travels and then re-enabled back in her office.

I thought that choosing Public Network blocks other network computers from accessing the shares. Is this incorrect?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, when the connection is a "Public" connection the other machines in the wild should NOT be able to access or even see it.

The following is from the Help within Windows 7
    Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Since it is my wife's computer, I can't expect the shares will be disabled when she travels and then re-enabled back in her office.

I thought that choosing Public Network blocks other network computers from accessing the shares. Is this incorrect?

Thanks
    Yes, that is correct, but security should consist of multiple layers of defence, not just one single thing.

If someone discovers a way to hack Microsoft's public/private network settings then you will need a second layer of defence to keep you safe. Since there are so many tempting targets connected to public networks there are probably thousands of hackers looking for the weaknesses even as I type.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It also helps in NOT using any of the Default names for your Network, such as WORKGROUP and etc that the different versions of Windows have used.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    OK thanks for the info.