Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be that Firefox, this very (first) day (to which the changes apply), has made a change that affect Aileen's recommendations for 'settings'. On the other hand, it may be a change in computers on my part, since her recommended settings made sense this morning but not this (Halloween) night. Anyway, this is Firefox 3.5.4, and I'm not sure what the version number was on the computers I was using this morning. It may be human error on my part, as usual.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What seems to be the problem? The way you see The Lounge?
    Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jezza View Post
    What seems to be the problem? The way you see The Lounge?
    Tools/Options/Privacy yields a completely different screen under Win 7 than it does under Vista, and hence someone trying to follow Aileen's optimal settings runs into unknown territory. That, incidentally, is 32-bit Win 7; it seems to me that I set it up on my 64-bit Win 7 computer this morning and it did conform to her description. Whatever the case, it appears to work, but I thought I'd give someone the heads up lest there be unnecessary confusion in these matters. Check it yourself and see.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Tools/Options/Privacy yields a completely different screen under Win 7 than it does under Vista, and hence someone trying to follow Aileen's optimal settings runs into unknown territory.
    I assume you mean this post: [topic=1917]Optimal Browser Settings for Using these Boards (in the Announcements forum)[/topic].

In Firefox 3.5.x, there is a drop-down at the top of the Privacy tab. If you choose "Use custom settings for history" then you have the full set of choices from earlier versions. Otherwise, those controls are hidden.

Because most people installed Firefox 3.5 over an existing Firefox installation, I think this change has gone largely unnoticed. Until you get a new PC and then, surprise!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I assume you mean this post: [topic=1917]Optimal Browser Settings for Using these Boards (in the Announcements forum)[/topic].

In Firefox 3.5.x, there is a drop-down at the top of the Privacy tab. If you choose "Use custom settings for history" then you have the full set of choices from earlier versions. Otherwise, those controls are hidden.

Because most people installed Firefox 3.5 over an existing Firefox installation, I think this change has gone largely unnoticed. Until you get a new PC and then, surprise!
    Yes, that is the correct post. This was not a new computer but a clean install, which amounts to the same thing so far as the Firefox version is concerned.

I am delighted to find that someone has the key to that particular mystery, and what if anything is done about it is up to others. I was, as I think I said, giving someone the heads up. (Further to that end, you may note that one limitation of the new and I agree improved system, is that I cannot see the full thread for which I am composing a reply, and hence really have no idea what in blazes I said.)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that is the correct post.
    Well, there are not that many other posts around.

... is that I cannot see the full thread for which I am composing a reply, and hence really have no idea what in blazes I said.)
    Nope, true, in the Full Editor. But the thread was there for you to read before your last reply and before you decided to reply. Also, if doing a "Fast Reply" (to the thread, no particular Lounger), it is possible to read the thread.

There is nothing wrong with Eileen's recommendations (updated by HansV). Further to that end, this thread is a topic for the Third-Party Browsers forum.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Well, there are not that many other posts around.

Nope, true, in the Full Editor. But the thread was there for you to read before your last reply and before you decided to reply. Also, if doing a "Fast Reply" (to the thread, no particular Lounger), it is possible to read the thread.

There is nothing wrong with Eileen's recommendations (updated by HansV). Further to that end, this thread is a topic for the Third-Party Browsers forum.
    I think the thread was in the right place. It is the branch created by my aside that could be used to start a new thread, which I see you have since done. I do appreciate your diagnosis of the posted problem, and I did point out that what others do with it is up to them.

Thanks
    The optimal-settings post linked above, now called [topic=1917]FAQ: Optimal browser settings for the Lounge[/topic], calls for Firefox 2.x and 3.x users to change a setting in Options under Security:

• Activate the Security tab.
    • Click Exceptions ...
    • Type WindowsSecrets.com in the box.
    • Click Allow.
    • Click Close to close the Exceptions dialog.

On the face of it, though, this makes little sense on two counts. (My references here are to Firefox 3.5.8.)

First, two such "Exceptions ..." elements exist on that tab, not one. Second, neither of those elements seems to be applicable to a forum such as this — as they deal with warnings about sites trying to install add-ons, and with saving passwords for individual sites.

Why would this forum need to ever install a Firefox add-on? (As in a browser-wide plug-in or extension. The WinSecrets addition to the search-engine drop-down-list is offered separately in that selection area, not in Options.)

And why would an exception need to be activated as to storing passwords? Most would want a less-security-critical site such as this one to have username and password stored in the browser. (If you're recommending that this not be done, it should say so. Although I, for one, only have such exceptions for financial sites.)

I wonder if you're referring to another setting here, since the corresponding point about Internet Explorer is that of "Per site privacy actions." That, though, doesn't have any direct analogue in Firefox, which only offers the per-site choice of adding an entry about accepting (or denying) all cookies. If that's what you meant, the posting should say so, and should reference the Privacy tab in Options instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Reed View Post
    I wonder if you're referring to another setting here, since the corresponding point about Internet Explorer is that of "Per site privacy actions." That, though, doesn't have any direct analogue in Firefox, which only offers the per-site choice of adding an entry about accepting (or denying) all cookies. If that's what you meant, the posting should say so, and should reference the Privacy tab in Options instead.
    Yes, I think it's meant to refer to cookies. Because the Privacy tab keeps changing, we probably should refer people to the relevant support article. The main one is Cookies on SuMo, but there are many linked articles for specific settings and dialogs. Perhaps a bit confusing after all.

For users of Firefox 3.5/3.6, a new and simpler way to allow persistent cookies for the Lounge (so your logged in status is saved between visits) is to right-click the page, choose View Page Info, click Permissions, and then choose Allow for cookies.

[attachment=88345:Fx3_5-Permissions.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Yes, I think it's meant to refer to cookies. Because the Privacy tab keeps changing, we probably should refer people to the relevant support article. The main one is Cookies on SuMo, but there are many linked articles for specific settings and dialogs. Perhaps a bit confusing after all.

For users of Firefox 3.5/3.6, a new and simpler way to allow persistent cookies for the Lounge (so your logged in status is saved between visits) is to right-click the page, choose View Page Info, click Permissions, and then choose Allow for cookies.
    Thanks for replying so quickly! It does, indeed, seem to be referring to cookies. With the open-source Firefox being a somewhat moving target, it probably is better to have the Mozilla page be at least linked on that Lounge page.

I very much appreciate knowing about the right-click to View Page Info making individual "permissions" overrides possible, all in one place, for a particular site. That bit of new convenience never came across in the propa- ... erhm, publicity for Firefox 3.5. {grin}

As for keeping cookies myself, I only keep a blacklist (from SpywareBlaster) updated within Firefox. I actively use a whitelist within CCleaner for those that I wish to actually keep, which already included WindowsSecrets.com. All others are wiped when I run that free utility at the end of the day. Sometimes it's over a hundred in one day!