New Lounger
    Thanks

Large number of Users...Help. (Access 97 SR-2)

Hello. I am in need of some advice. I need to create a database to collect basic information from a number of users (4000 over a two week period). The key is that I have little control over the timing regarding when the users will be accessing the database.

I have thought about a...but I am not sure if it will work. First, setting up a single database that would then serve as the main control...A user would login and depending on who they are they would then be sent to one of several/many "satellite" databases to enter their information. This would hopefully solve the problem of ensuring that not more than 255 users were in a database at one time. The questions is though, is it possible to open a different database (one of the "satellite" databases) and pass it information from the first database before closing? For example, when a user opened the first database it would prompt them for their SSN and PIN, once they entered that they would be automatically directed to another database to enter there information. When the second database opened the first database would need to pass the users SSN and PIN to second database.

I am certain that there is a better way to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sean

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Large number of Users...Help. (Access 97 SR-2)

This is definitely pushing the envelope of Access. While the theoretical limit might be 255, in practice it is *much* lower. Performance suffers seriously on most networks with as few as 5 or 6 simultaneous users. If you have 255 in the database at the same time, none of them is going to accomplish anything.

Is this a split front-end/back-end database or are you trying to have all these users open the same application? You might want to look into replication for distributing replicas of the back end to multiple locations. It takes a lot of planning to design a multi-user database to avoid lock conflicts, even with replication though, not only in the way you build the forms but also in the way you build the tables.

You'll need to post more specific information about what you're trying to do to get much help.
    Charlotte