Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I need a couple of these for a project. I don't think the little disks in fridge magnets will cut it, so does anybody know of a common "junk source" for such beasties? Old computer speakers, hardware etc? Also looking for similar sources for wound copper coils, up to around 50mm.

Ideas appreciated
    Alan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMiller View Post
    I need a couple of these for a project. I don't think the little disks in fridge magnets will cut it, so does anybody know of a common "junk source" for such beasties? Old computer speakers, hardware etc? Also looking for similar sources for wound copper coils, up to around 50mm.
    I have some powerful small magnets which I bought from an 'unusual toys' shop. Vaguely like this, but with more magnets!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Ideas appreciated
    Do you have any neighbours with small children who play outdoors with these?

[attachment=86286:x.gif]

All you need is a fishing rod, line, and a bit of ferrous bait....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (27.6 KB, 2 views)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Do you have any neighbours with small children who play outdoors with these?
    [...}
    All you need is a fishing rod, line, and a bit of ferrous bait....

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I am sure you are looking over my shoulder sometimes Alan

I was going through the girl's toy box last night looking for some old CD's when I found an old set of Jezzrette 2's GeoMags which have now been placed under the stairs ready for the next round of KTS if I get around to it.

These Geomags has a small neodymium magnet in each end that can be easily be extracted using nail polish remover (melts the plastic casing). Get about 10 of these little babies and you can hold them together with tape and make great little motor coils. So jumble sales and junk stores are the best place.

Copper wire....hmmmn what you looking for insulated with plastic or enamel coating? The only place I can think of unlimited supplies are old motors
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jezza View Post

I was going through the girl's toy box last night looking for some old CD's when I found an old set of Jezzrette 2's GeoMags which have now been placed under the stairs ready for the next round of KTS if I get around to it.
    [...]
    Don't tell me both of you guys are chasing the ITER project on fusion energy ... wow!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Don't tell me both of you guys are chasing the ITER project on fusion energy ... wow!
    That's old news Argus. A few teething problems, but R&D are still progressing.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

These Geomags has a small neodymium magnet in each end that can be easily be extracted using nail polish remover (melts the plastic casing). Get about 10 of these little babies and you can hold them together with tape and make great little motor coils. So jumble sales and junk stores are the best place.

Copper wire....hmmmn what you looking for insulated with plastic or enamel coating? The only place I can think of unlimited supplies are old motors
    I'm actually trying to build a speedo for my car, along these lines: Building a Digital Speedo

The problem I have is that my defunct speedo is due to a worn gear inside the gearbox. Price to replace is AUD650 minimum, which I simply refuse to spend on a single puny gear. Besides, I'm told the problem may well recur because it's a design fault (feature?). Anyway, I'm hoping to attach 2 magnets to the inside wheel rim and a fixed copper coil to somewhere that moves up/down with the wheel/suspension, similar to the design shown on the link.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have a good sized collection of magnets that were in the OLD phone connection boxes that were used stick the cable splice to side of a desk. This was when a multi line phone had hundreds of wires at each phone.

I still see a few of these boxes at a few "Junk" stores.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    How about hard drive magnets...neodymium, strong as hell
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's old news Argus. A few teething problems, but R&D are still progressing.
    Oh dear, I see, well then, ehm, is it Jezza 2.0 we see now?

That's what I like! Right there in the morning newspaper, I'm looking forward to when we will get this Inter-web-thingy in the papers in the morning, since I trust everything in the paper... but this web-thingy, I dunno, nah!

Thanks
    How about hard drive magnets...neodymium, strong as hell
    That's what I was thinking.

I have opened and disassembled a few hard drives and found those magnets.

Was very surprised to see how strong they are.
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies thus far - both comical and practical. I think the HD magnets sound the most promising, and I have quite a few old HDs. I tried out a wireless pushbike speedo, but the RF units are so puny that the range is less than a metre and the noise from the engine ignition sends the thing stupid. I've found a wired version which I'll try out, with shielding if need be. I'll be back with the good/ bad news.

Alan

Thanks
    Are you intending to build a complete digital speedo, including display, or simply replace the trigger and integrate it back into your existing dash speedo?

If the complete jobbie, have you thought about switching the LED segment drive to 'inverted' digits and making your own 'heads up' display for night driving?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Are you intending to build a complete digital speedo, including display, or simply replace the trigger and integrate it back into your existing dash speedo?

If the complete jobbie, have you thought about switching the LED segment drive to 'inverted' digits and making your own 'heads up' display for night driving?
    I'm having to do the full replacement, coz the whole speedo train is effectively shot without the 25/$650 gear cog. The headup is a brilliant idea - love it! - but first I'm having a shot with a little gizzmo like this:

I'm intending to use a LED (from a solar garden light) to illuminate its display, since the instrument panel lights are of no use here.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast