New Lounger
    Thanks
    Basically, i was on MS Word the other day, when i copied and pasted some URL's into MS Word, along with the tags for inserting an image on the forum i wished to place them on, the tags were [IMG] [/IMG] with no spaces and the URL inbetween, at this point, MS Word stopped responding, and as i had access to the exact same data still on Internet Explorer, i shut down MS Word, when i opened it again, it recovered the URL's and tags, and so i instantly clicked the save button as my Internet had just lost connection, when i looked, the document had been saved automatically as Normal.exe which i thought was odd, and now whenever i open MS Word without loading something from the My Documents folder, these URL's and the tags were there, which, i have to delete every time, unfortunately, the URL's have some words in that i don't want my young kids to see, and i can't stop them from using the PC for schoolwork, what do i do?

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    1) Open Word
    2) Choose Tools|Options|File Locations|User Templates|Modify
    3) Do NOT change the address - just leave the dialog open
    3) Open Windows Explorer
    4) Navigate to the Folder address found in step 2
    5) If you can't find the Folder (step 5), go to Control Panel|Folder Options & make sure Display Hidden Files & Folders is checked
    6) Go back to Word & close it down
    7) In Windows Explorer, there will be a file called Normal.dot. Rename it to NormalOld.dot
    8) Reopen Word & (hopefully) things will be back to "normal". If that is so, you may want to delete NormalOld.dot

HTH
    Gre

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy Who Needs Help Alot View Post
    Basically, i was on MS Word the other day, when i copied and pasted some URL's into MS Word, along with the tags for inserting an image on the forum i wished to place them on, the tags were [img][/img] with no spaces and the URL inbetween, at this point, MS Word stopped responding, and as i had access to the exact same data still on Internet Explorer, i shut down MS Word, when i opened it again, it recovered the URL's and tags, and so i instantly clicked the save button as my Internet had just lost connection, when i looked, the document had been saved automatically as Normal.exe which i thought was odd, and now whenever i open MS Word without loading something from the My Documents folder, these URL's and the tags were there, which, i have to delete every time, unfortunately, the URL's have some words in that i don't want my young kids to see, and i can't stop them from using the PC for schoolwork, what do i do?

Thanks
    Have you tried renaming the saved file normal.exe to normal.doc?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't you mean Normal.dot (or if you're using Word 2007, Normal.dotm) instead of Normal.exe?

Normal.dot is the default template that Word uses to create a "blank" new document from.

You have two options:
    - Open Normal.dot, remove the offending text, then save it, or
    - Quit Word, then delete Normal.dot. Word will automatically create a new version if and when necessary.

Normal.dot (or Normal.dotm) can be found as follows:
    - Start Windows Explorer.
    - Make sure that you display hidden files and folders (this can be set in the View tab of Tools | Folder Options...)
    - Type or copy the following into the address bar:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

- Press Enter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Don't you mean Normal.dot (or if you're using Word 2007, Normal.dotm) instead of Normal.exe?

Normal.dot is the default template that Word uses to create a "blank" new document from.

You have two options:
    - Open Normal.dot, remove the offending text, then save it, or
    - Quit Word, then delete Normal.dot. Word will automatically create a new version if and when necessary.

Normal.dot (or Normal.dotm) can be found as follows:
    - Start Windows Explorer.
    - Make sure that you display hidden files and folders (this can be set in the View tab of Tools | Folder Options...)
    - Type or copy the following into the address bar:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

- Press Enter.
    The last one you suggested is the ONLY method of the entire lot that worked, thanks Hans!