Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have noticed on the "New Content" board that the post read counter does not update in real time, there seems to be a 30(ish) minute delay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    I have noticed on the "New Content" board that the post read counter does not update in real time, there seems to be a 30(ish) minute delay.
    Where is this 'New Content" board of which you speak? I can only get to this information via the link http://<b><a href="http://www.wopr.c..._posts</a></b> previously posted!

Or is that what you meant?

PS If the delay time is 30 minutes, how come the top post in your graphics shows 8 minutes? Maybe you didn't do the Refresh function that I'd like to happen automatically?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Batcher,

Yes, we are takling about the same link. If you look at the top item in the graphic that I posted, you will see that it has 0 views, however before taking the screenshot, I had viewed the post 3 times (not for it's content, you understand ), but to establish that the counter was not working, even after refreshing the page. The post below, which states "11 views", jumped from 0 to 11 after about half an hour.

Brian Livingston
    I believe there is a setting in IP.Board that controls how often a visitor's browser page is forced to be refreshed by the server. Even if a visitor refreshes his or her browser every 1 minute, IP.Board may be cacheing (and not recalculating every 1 minute) the "X minutes ago" displays. The default delay is intended to improve the performance of the board for all visitors, I'm sure, But we may be able to crank down the default to make it shorter without a noticeable hit to the visitors' perceived performance.

For now, knowing that a thread has a new comment that's less than 60 minutes old is a lot more helpful than the 2.0 display, which required visitors to calculate in their heads which of several date strings were the most recent. I agree that being up-to-the-minute would be ideal. Now we'll measure whether true recalculation every minute -- and the refreshing of the screen of every visitor, whether signed in or not -- will hurt performance. If the site is so slow that visitors don't come back, the accuracy of the relative times won't benefit them.

This issue will be tracked in a pinned thread at the top of the Suggestion Box in the days to come. Thanks for reporting this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    Even if a visitor refreshes his or her browser every 1 minute, IP.Board may be cacheing (and not recalculating every 1 minute) the "X minutes ago" displays.
    Just to be sure, I believe the original post was about the number of views there had been to a post, not the amount of time that had past. I'm seeing the same thing. I'm attaching a screenshot. At the top is a post I've viewed several times plus as you can see there's been a reply. However, the number of views is still at zero. This screenshot was taken at 13 minutes after that reply, but I've been refreshing the list for 22 minutes and still see only zero views. Further, I'm still seeing zero views on a new post I made even though it's been over an hour and I've revisited that post a few times since I made it.

How long does it take for the number of views to refresh? I assume the number of views is important for those moderating the topics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daisy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to reply to Brian's post, but as ailios has already pointed out, I think we are talking about different things here. It is the number of post views that I was referring to, which clearly is NOT working.

If I were to make a post, whereby I was seeking help from the Lounge community, the non working post view counter, combined with the inability to see how many active users are currently in the Lounge, gives me no indication as to whether I am likely to receive a response any time soon. If I know that there are few loungers around, and likewise that there are few viewers to my post, I can make a decision as to whether I need to find help via an alternative source.