Thread: Mark Read

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In version 2 , when one was to click on the icon to left of the Thread group, it would "Mark" the group as READ.

I would like to have this function back.

[attachment=86295:ReadIcon.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Brian Livingston
    I know it's a feature of IP.Board that a thread that you've read is shown with a greyed-out icon, plus a tooltip that says "No new messages." We also hired a Photoshop artist to create new icons reflecting the most obvious meanings possible for this and other states. We want novice and experienced users alike to understand the status immediately.

If the greying-out isn't working yet, then there's a setting that needs to be flipped. I also know that the new icon files need to be moved into position. (They don't cut and paste themselves onto our server!)

In addition to "all new comments read," we'll add serious new powers in the months to come, such as "show me all new comments, but only in the specific forums I've selected." The developers couldn't possibly get to everything in the 33 hours they were wrassling with the Lounge server while it was offline. But they're working hard, and they'll get to everything as fast as a Monday-to-Friday work week allows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    I know it's a feature of IP.Board that a thread that you've read is shown with a greyed-out icon, plus a tooltip that says "No new messages."
    Dave's image actually shows the lobby, and the icon that indicates whether any new threads have been added to a board.

I used that icon/button to mark read entire boards that I don't visit; it was just to reduce distraction. However, I think there may have been concerns that some people might click that button accidentally, so if there isn't a great clamor for it, I could live without it.

Brian Livingston
    I think jscher2000's comment is close to the Road Map we have. The icon to the left of each forum in the Lounge Lobby is intended to show the user that new comments have been posted in a forum since his or her last visit. By contrast, marking all forums as read is a fairly dangerous function. Furthermore, once you've marked them all as read, they would all just be marked as having unread comments the next day. Because the function is destructive (and I don't know whether there's an Undo if people click it by mistake), a link titled "Mark all forums read" appears near the bottom of the Lounge Lobby, away from any forum name, where it's less likely to be clicked by accident.

In the weeks to come, the WindowsSecrets.com home page is being converted into a configurable portal to whichever Lounge forums you're interested in. You'll be able to show, say, the 10 most recent threads in Spreadsheets and Scuttlebutt, and then jump to any thread you like from there. It won't be necessary to mark individual forums as read. Dunno when this will go live December? but we're typing as fast as we can!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    Because the function is destructive (and I don't know whether there's an Undo if people click it by mistake), a link titled "Mark all forums read" appears near the bottom of the Lounge Lobby, away from any forum name, where it's less likely to be clicked by accident.
    Previously when one clicked the icon to the left of a forum name, a Yes/No or OK/Cancel prompt displayed before the user actually marked everything in that specific forum as read. I think we added the prompt shortly after the conversion to IP Board because it was such an easy "whoops" and you're right, there is no Undo. But that with the prompt, it seemed reasonably safe to have that feature. Still, it could be considered confusing to have the icon on the left mean very different things in a list of threads (go to newest) and in a list of boards (mark all read). Consistency does have some value.