Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a XP SP3 computer and I have managed to inadvertantly expand the quick launch area to two lines which extends across the entire task bar and obviously takes extra space at the bottom of page. I have tried everything but restore to eliminate the second line including closing quick launch, closing QL and rebooting, closing toolbars, etc. The second line endures each and all of those things. Any thoughts and suggestions to eliminate the extra line would be appreciated.
    Bill

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    The quick launch area should be the same height as the taskbar. Have you tried right clicking on the taskbar, clearing "lock the taskbar" and then dragging the top edge down to reduce the height?

  3. #3
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Hello, and welcome to the New Lounge!

    Two wordings, much the same:
    Make sure the taskbar isn't locked (right click on the bar and uncheck lock the toolbar). Then place the pointer on the vertical border between quick launch and the rest of the task bar and drag it to the left. This will shrink the quick launch area and cause the extra icons to appear in the drop down list.
    and
    With the taskbar unlocked, hover your mouse pointer over the top of the taskbar until it looks like a double arrow pointing up and down. Left click and drag down. Then lock the taskbar so it doesn't happen again.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    The quick launch area should be the same height as the taskbar. Have you tried right clicking on the taskbar, clearing "lock the taskbar" and then dragging the top edge down to reduce the height?
    Thanks for the reply Stuart. The taskbar is not locked. Howeever, your suggestion does not seem to work. I cannot drag it down only one line. I can completely drag it to the bottom of the page, but then cannot see anything in the task bar.

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the New Lounge!

    Two wordings, much the same:
    Make sure the taskbar isn't locked (right click on the bar and uncheck lock the toolbar). Then place the pointer on the vertical border between quick launch and the rest of the task bar and drag it to the left. This will shrink the quick launch area and cause the extra icons to appear in the drop down list.
    and
    With the taskbar unlocked, hover your mouse pointer over the top of the taskbar until it looks like a double arrow pointing up and down. Left click and drag down. Then lock the taskbar so it doesn't happen again.
    Batcher, the vertical line that was at the end of the quick launch area is now on the second line. It cannot be moved or dragged to the left. Nothing, delete or backspace will move the vertical line. The only thing that will move the line is to close QL, but when QL is reactivated, the second line with the vertical bar reappears!
    Any other thoughts? I mentioned to Stuart above, the taskbar was not locked.

  6. #6
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    1,993
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can change between the three different "view modes"/positions of the QLB by double-clicking the dotted line (when the Taskbar is unlocked) at the end of the QLB (doing it several times).

    Obviously it's also possible (in normal cases) to drag the edge of the QLB to resize it.

    How high is the Taskbar? If two rows, try going back to one and then try double-clicking and then move it.

    Otherwise; if you can show us some small screen shot from the area it could perhaps be easier to understand.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Sometimes if one is to Close the "Quick Launch" toolbar, and then turn it back on, it will appear where is should and then be resized.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  8. #8
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that you can dock the whole taskbar to either side of the desktop as well as to the bottom. The problem is that I could never master what you are trying to accomplish other than by trial and error, but for exercise I suggest that you unlock it and, without worrying about the fussy stuff in the short run, try flinging it around so as to dock it to one of the sides. Turn it into a game to see how much you can learn about its behaviour. You may also have a source where you can look it up.

    I do have one suggestion, however, and that is that if a million applications are putting icons into the notification area, that is a likely cause of the problem you describe. You can also go into Taskbar / Properties (right-click in the taskbar) and select Auto-hide, which will hide it completely until you move the cursor into the neighbourhood

    Edited to add that I have produced screenshots, which are posted in the Test Area. I was very pleased with the post, which did have to be tested, but I have no idea how to move the post itself to add it to this thread.

    Peter

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog59 View Post
    Batcher, the vertical line that was at the end of the quick launch area is now on the second line. It cannot be moved or dragged to the left. Nothing, delete or backspace will move the vertical line. The only thing that will move the line is to close QL, but when QL is reactivated, the second line with the vertical bar reappears!
    Any other thoughts? I mentioned to Stuart above, the taskbar was not locked.
    I finally gave up on trying to resize/return the QL to its original size and utilized restore to a previous day and that took care of it. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •