Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger ibe98765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I've tried to install two fixes for .NET Framework numerous times via Win Update w/o success (and they keep appearing in the tray even after though they continue to fail). They have FAILED each time I try to install them.

    So I finally decided to try and uninstall all the versions of .NET Framework via REVO, also deleting all the registry and file refs that REVO dug up. MY hope was that whatever was causing these files to fail would be resolved if I forced a full reinstall of the .NET Framework.

    Then went back to Win Update, did a scan which brought up the fixes below that it wanted to install. BUT failed again.

    EVENT # 11791
    EVENT LOG System
    EVENT TYPE Error
    SOURCE Windows Update Agent
    CATEGORY Installation
    EVENT ID 20
    COMPUTERNAME DESK01
    TIME 11/2/2009 12:43:49 AM
    MESSAGE Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86.
    BINARY DATA 0000: 57 69 6E 33 32 48 52 65 73 75 6C 74 3D 30 78 38
    0010: 30 30 37 30 36 34 33 20 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44
    0020: 3D 7B 34 44 36 45 37 43 39 43 2D 39 39 42 41 2D
    0030: 34 34 34 38 2D 38 41 30 41 2D 33 45 38 45 37 42
    0040: 38 34 44 32 46 41 7D 20 52 65 76 69 73 69 6F 6E
    0050: 4E 75 6D 62 65 72 3D 31 30 34 20 00

    What to do? Anyone have any ideas? I don't feel like spending 2 weeks rebuilding WinXP at this point and I am not ready to upgrade to Win7 yet.

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,418
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 597 Times in 534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post
    I've tried to install two fixes for .NET Framework numerous times via Win Update w/o success (and they keep appearing in the tray even after though they continue to fail). They have FAILED each time I try to install them.

    So I finally decided to try and uninstall all the versions of .NET Framework via REVO, also deleting all the registry and file refs that REVO dug up. MY hope was that whatever was causing these files to fail would be resolved if I forced a full reinstall of the .NET Framework.

    Then went back to Win Update, did a scan which brought up the fixes below that it wanted to install. BUT failed again.

    EVENT # 11791
    EVENT LOG System
    EVENT TYPE Error
    SOURCE Windows Update Agent
    CATEGORY Installation
    EVENT ID 20
    COMPUTERNAME DESK01
    TIME 11/2/2009 12:43:49 AM
    MESSAGE Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86.
    BINARY DATA 0000: 57 69 6E 33 32 48 52 65 73 75 6C 74 3D 30 78 38
    0010: 30 30 37 30 36 34 33 20 55 70 64 61 74 65 49 44
    0020: 3D 7B 34 44 36 45 37 43 39 43 2D 39 39 42 41 2D
    0030: 34 34 34 38 2D 38 41 30 41 2D 33 45 38 45 37 42
    0040: 38 34 44 32 46 41 7D 20 52 65 76 69 73 69 6F 6E
    0050: 4E 75 6D 62 65 72 3D 31 30 34 20 00

    What to do? Anyone have any ideas? I don't feel like spending 2 weeks rebuilding WinXP at this point and I am not ready to upgrade to Win7 yet.
    Did you download the complete installation package or let Windows Update detect and install? I've had better luck downloading the complete installation package for each release.

    Joe

  4. #3
    5 Star Lounger ibe98765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I tried to let Windows Update do the heavy lifting but it isn't working out very well. So I did some further searching and found a link that looks ot be helpful from Microsoft here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

    This link points to the individual packages to download.

    So I will try this.

  5. #4
    5 Star Lounger ibe98765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Posts
    859
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    OK, problem is resolved but it took quite a lot of work and 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft.

    Method 1 in this KB article didn't solve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

    I had to use Method 2 which involves downloading a cleanup tool, running it and then downloading and reinstalling ALL .NET Framework versions from 1.0 to 3.5 SP1 in sequence.

    But even this didn't quite work. When I tried to install the 3.0 version, the install failed with an error code that even the Microsoft rep couldn't find anything on. I tired the install a couple more times but got the same error each time.

    I decided to reboot and noticed that there were updates to be installed and a computer shut-down was required. So with nothing left to try, I clicked on "Turn off" the computer.

    On reboot, I saw there was a tray icon for Windows Update telling me that updates were ready to be installed. I let that rip (they were .NET Framework updates). I rebooted and now everything seems to be back to normal.

    This all started with a couple of .NET Framework KB fixes that failed to install and were part of that big MS patch download 2-3 weeks ago (13 patches or so). The original error code "0x80070643" and when I searched this on Google, there were many thousands of pages.

  6. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,418
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 597 Times in 534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post
    OK, problem is resolved but it took quite a lot of work and 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft.

    Method 1 in this KB article didn't solve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

    I had to use Method 2 which involves downloading a cleanup tool, running it and then downloading and reinstalling ALL .NET Framework versions from 1.0 to 3.5 SP1 in sequence.

    But even this didn't quite work. When I tried to install the 3.0 version, the install failed with an error code that even the Microsoft rep couldn't find anything on. I tired the install a couple more times but got the same error each time.

    I decided to reboot and noticed that there were updates to be installed and a computer shut-down was required. So with nothing left to try, I clicked on "Turn off" the computer.

    On reboot, I saw there was a tray icon for Windows Update telling me that updates were ready to be installed. I let that rip (they were .NET Framework updates). I rebooted and now everything seems to be back to normal.

    This all started with a couple of .NET Framework KB fixes that failed to install and were part of that big MS patch download 2-3 weeks ago (13 patches or so). The original error code "0x80070643" and when I searched this on Google, there were many thousands of pages.
    Glad you got it worked out. Those .NET updates have been troublesome for quite a few people. Thanks for posting back.

    Joe

  7. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SE Arizona
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibeme View Post
    OK, problem is resolved but it took quite a lot of work and 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft.

    Method 1 in this KB article didn't solve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

    I had to use Method 2 which involves downloading a cleanup tool, running it and then downloading and reinstalling ALL .NET Framework versions from 1.0 to 3.5 SP1 in sequence.

    But even this didn't quite work. When I tried to install the 3.0 version, the install failed with an error code that even the Microsoft rep couldn't find anything on. I tired the install a couple more times but got the same error each time.

    I decided to reboot and noticed that there were updates to be installed and a computer shut-down was required. So with nothing left to try, I clicked on "Turn off" the computer.

    On reboot, I saw there was a tray icon for Windows Update telling me that updates were ready to be installed. I let that rip (they were .NET Framework updates). I rebooted and now everything seems to be back to normal.

    This all started with a couple of .NET Framework KB fixes that failed to install and were part of that big MS patch download 2-3 weeks ago (13 patches or so). The original error code "0x80070643" and when I searched this on Google, there were many thousands of pages.
    This is great news but do you have a link for Fix #2? This problem has been bugging me for months.

  8. #7
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,418
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 597 Times in 534 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Babb View Post
    This is great news but do you have a link for Fix #2? This problem has been bugging me for months.
    See the KB article. There are several links in the Method #2 section.

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •