3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Word 2003
    Operating System: XP Professional Version 2002 SP 3

I am not sure it is even possible but if it is, someone in this Lounge would know.
    Two of my coworkers would like to be able to access the same AutoText (Word 2003).
    They both send out letters to the same people and use AutoText to complete the mailing addresses.
    It would be nice if they could both make changes to the AutoText list.
    There are folders on the network that they can both access.

Since Autotext is normally stored in the Normal.dot file, if a special file with AutoText entries were
    created and stored in the shared folder, how would a person set Word up so that the new AutoText entries went
    into the new AutoText template?

If it is indeed possible, what is the best method of setting it up?
    Chuck Reimer
    I'm from the Government and I'm here to help...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    AutoText entries can be stored in any template, not just Normal.dot.

You could create a template, and use the Organizer (from Tools | Templates and Add-ins...) to copy existing AutoText entries into the template.
    Then save the template in a shared network folder, and let users point their Word startup folder to the shared folder. The template will act as an add-in: it will be loaded each time the user starts Word.

Or if you have a set of corporate document templates, you could copy the AutoText entries into those.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    AutoText entries can be stored in any template, not just Normal.dot.

You could create a template, and use the Organizer (from Tools | Templates and Add-ins...) to copy existing AutoText entries into the template.
    Then save the template in a shared network folder, and let users point their Word startup folder to the shared folder. The template will act as an add-in: it will be loaded each time the user starts Word.

Or if you have a set of corporate document templates, you could copy the AutoText entries into those.
    Thanks Hans,
    I can create a template that contains the Autotext entries and put it in a common network folder. How do I tell Word that any new entries should go there instead of Normal.dot?
    Chuck Reimer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you'll have to select the global template/add-in in the Insert | AutoText | AutoText... dialog once during a session, after that it will remain the default until you quit Word.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you'll have to select the global template/add-in in the Insert | AutoText | AutoText... dialog once during a session, after that it will remain the default until you quit Word.
    Thank you Hans. I will have them give it a try.
    I used to get emails when someone replied to my posts. I have not gotten them this time. I looked at my profile but it seemed ok. Any ideas?

Thanks Again!
    Chuck Reimer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    We just moved to a new software version, there might be some teething problems. I'd start a thread in the Suggestion Box (formerly Lounge Matters) forum, so that the Admins knows about it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We just moved to a new software version, there might be some teething problems. I'd start a thread in the Suggestion Box (formerly Lounge Matters) forum, so that the Admins knows about it.
    Thank you very much Hans for all your help.
    Chuck Reimer