Thread: Ntfs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a high-tech question that invites a simple answer. The subject is more general than Windows 7, but this is where the most interest will be.

NTFS has gone through minor improvements over time, and after trying to plumb the depths of the technicalities about it, it appears that the most recent version is 3.1. This stuff is way over my head, but permissions are tied closely to it, and they are important in Win 7. Is there a new version with Windows 7, and if so should users who are performing a clean install (nix to dual- or multi-boot) have the installation perform a full format of their drive instead of a fast format? I am assuming that a full format would provide the latest version of NTFS.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Wikipedia has a splendidly-confused article on NTFS, to which I assume you refer:

"NTFS has five released versions:

* v1.0 with NT 3.1,[citation needed] released mid-1993
    * v1.1 with NT 3.5,[citation needed] released fall 1994
    * v1.2 with NT 3.51 (mid-1995) and NT 4 (mid-1996) (occasionally referred to as "NTFS 4.0", because OS version is 4.0)
    * v3.0 from Windows 2000 ("NTFS V5.0")
    * v3.1 from Windows XP (autumn 2001; "NTFS V5.1"), Windows Server 2003 (spring 2003; occasionally "NTFS V5.2"), Windows Vista (mid-2005) (occasionally "NTFS V6.0") and Windows Server 2008"

So the latest version is v3.1 ... or v6.0... or whatever came with Windows Server 2008/Windows 7!

Here's an old John Savill article with the Do It Yourself command:

"How can I determine which version of NTFS I'm using?
    John Savill

A. [...] To determine the version of an NTFS volume, type

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <volume>:

at the command prompt. For example, when I type this command, the following records appear on screen:

NTFS Volume Serial Number : 0xa87006e47006b958
    Version : 3.1
    "
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Wikipedia has a splendidly-confused article on NTFS, to which I assume you refer:

"NTFS has five released versions:

* v1.0 with NT 3.1,[citation needed] released mid-1993
    * v1.1 with NT 3.5,[citation needed] released fall 1994
    * v1.2 with NT 3.51 (mid-1995) and NT 4 (mid-1996) (occasionally referred to as "NTFS 4.0", because OS version is 4.0)
    * v3.0 from Windows 2000 ("NTFS V5.0")
    * v3.1 from Windows XP (autumn 2001; "NTFS V5.1"), Windows Server 2003 (spring 2003; occasionally "NTFS V5.2"), Windows Vista (mid-2005) (occasionally "NTFS V6.0") and Windows Server 2008"

So the latest version is v3.1 ... or v6.0... or whatever came with Windows Server 2008/Windows 7!

Here's an old John Savill article with the Do It Yourself command:

"How can I determine which version of NTFS I'm using?
    John Savill

A. [...] To determine the version of an NTFS volume, type

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <volume>:

at the command prompt. For example, when I type this command, the following records appear on screen:

NTFS Volume Serial Number : 0xa87006e47006b958
    Version : 3.1
    "
    Yes, that was indeed one of my sources, and I was tempted to throw all of those very numbers into the stew. Another source was NTFS.

(At last I have caught on to the fiendishly clever doodads, like links, at the top of the the post composition frame.)

It is all both forward and backward compatible, as the article puts it, which would seem to make it moot, but every bit of refinement helps if it lubricates the wheels of industry.

I have already made one modest contribution to the logic of a Wikipedia entry, and if you are qualified to perform a service there I encourage you to do so, for I heartily agree with your assessment of it. (None of which gets us any closer to an answer to my original concern.)

Peter