Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just upgraded to 1GB RAM in Gateway MX6421 Notebook (recognized in SYS INFO), running XP PRO SP3, seems as if the hard drive is going nuts. ALL sounds stop everytime the hard drive is bumped (all of the time), sounds like really bad CD. Pagefile settings wrong? No device conflicts, everything working fine per WINXP. Tried everything else, including (horrors) Microsoft. Any ideas??

    Thanks gang
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger Leif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    14,010
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFireFighter06 View Post
    .... seems as if the hard drive is going nuts.
    ALL sounds stop everytime the hard drive is bumped (all of the time), sounds like really bad CD.
    Pagefile settings wrong?
    Do you mean you can hear it being accessed all the time?
    Do you mean all sounds stop if you literally physically bump the HD?
    What are your pagefile settings?

    If it is down to hard drive activity, it may be your pagefile - try setting it to the smallest you can, run a defrag, then reset it to a more suitable size (I usually set the min and max to 1.5 times the 'recommended' max then forget about it.)

    There may be coincidental (to your RAM upgrade) physical damage manifesting itself on the hard drive, and multiple access is required as the system tries to locate data. Try running a full chkdsk.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFireFighter06 View Post
    Just upgraded to 1GB RAM in Gateway MX6421 Notebook (recognized in SYS INFO), running XP PRO SP3, seems as if the hard drive is going nuts. ALL sounds stop everytime the hard drive is bumped (all of the time), sounds like really bad CD. Pagefile settings wrong? No device conflicts, everything working fine per WINXP. Tried everything else, including (horrors) Microsoft. Any ideas??
    When you upgrade RAM the default page size is increased correspondingly. That's why it's often a good idea to let Windows choose the so-called System Managed Size. Whichever option you have set, the Page File is probably now in at least two fragments, and it would be interesting, once you've chosen or allowed the final Page File Size, to use Mike Russinovich's PageDefrag. When set up, this action happens at boot time, and takes a surprisingly long time to defragment the page file, 10-20 minutes, perhaps.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's the scoop on the computer:
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Tech. ML-32 1.8Ghz 512 KB L2 cache
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Series
    1500 GB RAM
    Conexant AC-Link Audio
    80 GB HTS421280H9AT00 hard drive
    I have the page file set on D:\ only at 2250 min and max. Ran CHKDSK last night, clean. No, I can't HEAR the hard drive, I watch the indicator light and it "bumps" all of the time, almost like it isn't using the RAM at all. Whenever sounds are played, CD, system or music file, it skips when the hard drive is accessed. It's similar to what happens when there is a short in an electrical system.
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

  5. #5
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFireFighter06 View Post
    Here's the scoop on the computer:
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Tech. ML-32 1.8Ghz 512 KB L2 cache
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Series
    1500 GB RAM
    Conexant AC-Link Audio
    80 GB HTS421280H9AT00 hard drive
    I have the page file set on D:\ only at 2250 min and max. Ran CHKDSK last night, clean. No, I can't HEAR the hard drive, I watch the indicator light and it "bumps" all of the time, almost like it isn't using the RAM at all. Whenever sounds are played, CD, system or music file, it skips when the hard drive is accessed. It's similar to what happens when there is a short in an electrical system.
    Try replacing the Pagefile with a new one.

    Go to Control Panel>system>Advanced>Performance>settings>Advance d tab>virtual memory>change.
    Selected the drive where the pagefile is ( the D:? ) Enable the bullet "No Pagefile" > Set. OK out.
    Reboot
    Go to the D: drive and look for pagefile.sys. Delete it. Search for any other instance of pagefile.sys. It may be on any other HD letter also. If any found, delete it.
    Reboot.

    Now go back into the location listed above and re-enable the page file for that drive and make the size "System managed".
    Reboot.

    You should now have a new pagefile.sys file of a size that the system recommends.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFireFighter06 View Post
    Here's the scoop on the computer:
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Tech. ML-32 1.8Ghz 512 KB L2 cache
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Series
    1500 GB RAM
    Conexant AC-Link Audio
    80 GB HTS421280H9AT00 hard drive
    I have the page file set on D:\ only at 2250 min and max. Ran CHKDSK last night, clean. No, I can't HEAR the hard drive, I watch the indicator light and it "bumps" all of the time, almost like it isn't using the RAM at all. Whenever sounds are played, CD, system or music file, it skips when the hard drive is accessed. It's similar to what happens when there is a short in an electrical system.
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Bob!!
    Reset page file like you suggested, seems to help. Could this be more of a hardware issue: sound card going bad? Played disc in MCE11, lost all sound, disc still "playing", played same disc in ITunes, didn't skip as bad. Music/sound files already on computer still not playing right - still sounds like a bad CD every time there is activity on the hard drive indicator light. Also, I turned off the indexing in explore>click on drive>properties per another thread here (FYI). Could there just plain be a setting that isn't right? I'm not too up on fixing computers, putting out fires yes, computers no.
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank BATcher!
    downloaded PageDefrag just now, will let it run on the next reboot and see how it does.
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

  9. #9
    Uranium Lounger viking33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    6,308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFireFighter06 View Post
    Thanks Bob!!
    Reset page file like you suggested, seems to help. Could this be more of a hardware issue: sound card going bad? Played disc in MCE11, lost all sound, disc still "playing", played same disc in ITunes, didn't skip as bad. Music/sound files already on computer still not playing right - still sounds like a bad CD every time there is activity on the hard drive indicator light. Also, I turned off the indexing in explore>click on drive>properties per another thread here (FYI). Could there just plain be a setting that isn't right? I'm not too up on fixing computers, putting out fires yes, computers no.
    I don't think it's hardware BUT if every time you try to play any sounds produces bad audio??? Perhaps.
    You might want to look for any new Sound drivers from your manufactures website.

    Also, go to: Control Panel>System> Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Look for any "yellow exclamation points" which will indicate a hardware or driver problem.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif


    Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

  10. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Aw gee, Bob, tried all of that. This first cropped up after I did a system disinfect and system restore from OEM disc after Blaster worm got in. I swept EVERYTHING three times, including hidden files, before I did the recovery. Then I just did a destructive recovery with the disc 3 days ago and it hasn't helped. It sounds like the hard drive is "shorting out" the sound card; that's the best I can describe it.
    The LT..
    You Light 'em, We Fight 'em

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •