Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I really don't understand how categories work in Outlook 2007.

I have a PST file on a network share. Sometimes this is opened from Outlook 2007 and sometimes from Outlook 2003

My contacts folder is grouped by category, I have about 6 categories and I assign one or more of these categories to each contact. In Outlook 2003 I do this either by dragging the contact to the correct category in the main Outlook window or by typing the category name into the text box at the bottom right of the contact form. I can also add categories by right clicking on the background of the main outlook window and selecting Categories...

When I open this PST file in Outlook 2007 I can see all the existing categories, and I can assign a category to a contact by dragging it to an existing category. If I try to add a new category then instead of seeing all the existing categories I see things with colour names (Blue Category, Green Category etc.). I am very nervous of making any changes in this dialog box in case I screw up the existing categories that still work, even though I cannot see them in this dialog box. Also the text box where I used to be able to see and modify the categories is no longer visible in the contact form.

How can I get Outlook 2007 to see, and modify, the categories that are already in use?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have a somewhat similar situation - I copied my PST file from a system running Outlook 2002, and the categories I had in 2002 do not show up in the category list. However if I open up a contact which has a category, I can double click on the category at the top of the contact form directly below the ribbon, and it opens up the Color Categories form and shows the old category, but says (not in Master Category List) after the name. If you do a search in Help on "Master Category List" there are a couple of topics that deal with upgrading and with working in two versions, but neither really answers your question. How you add your old categories to the Master Category List is still a mystery.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you (I think). I guess I will just have to make any category changes from a PC that is still running Office 2003.

I had been hoping that I had just missed something.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Thank you (I think). I guess I will just have to make any category changes from a PC that is still running Office 2003.

I had been hoping that I had just missed something.

Outlook 2007 handles categories diffently than 2003. See Microsoft Outlook Categories for more information and sugestions.

BTW, PST files are not supported on a LAN. See Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link and Ask the Performance Team : Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    BTW, PST files are not supported on a LAN.
    That is rather sad. In many large organizations, employees have only limited space in their Exchange mailbox, so they are forced to archive to a .pst file. And many employees have roaming profiles and work on different computers. If their archive .pst files are stored locally, they won't be able to access them when working on another computer. For security reasons, placing .pst files on portable hard disks and USB sticks is discouraged. Being able to store .pst files on a secure network drive would be ideal.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can we keep Microsoft from trashing any more of its products? First they got rid of the menus and gave us the cursed Ribbon. Now theyíve gotten rid of categories in Outlook. Iíve got hundreds of items I sort by dozens of categories Iíve built up over the last 15 years of using Outlook and now they say I canít use them anymore?
    Thanks,

C DeWitt