Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As an experiment I want to try the above OS on an old Pocket PC I have but want to run it from the iso file but don't particularly want to burn it to CD but prefereably from a flash drive.

Can you suggest any CD emulator software that I could use to try and get the iso file to run...or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jezza View Post
    As an experiment I want to try the above OS on an old Pocket PC I have but want to run it from the iso file but don't particularly want to burn it to CD but prefereably from a flash drive.

Can you suggest any CD emulator software that I could use to try and get the iso file to run...or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Hi Jezza,

You could try the steps provided on this Ubuntu.com page.

I don't know if the Pocket PC will run the software, but it's worth giving it a shot.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chris, that page passed me by

Wrong terminology a Pocket Book running Windows
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Wrong terminology a Pocket Book running Windows
    I wondered if that was the case

Too many similar names, for different items. Sometimes, drastically so!
    Christopher Baldrey

Thanks
    As an experiment I want to try the above OS on an old Pocket PC I have but want to run it from the iso file but don't particularly want to burn it to CD but preferably from a flash drive.

You can run it from a "Live CD", slowly, and you have to set up any customisation each time. Less good than from a flash drive, I suspect.

Or (if they've got it working for "Kuddly Koala"*), you can run it under Windows (well, using Windows disk space actually!) using Wubi. I've done it this way and it works quite well (Jaunty Jackalope, though), provided you have a spare 16 GB or so spare on your Windows PC. Beware that there are quite a number of problems with Kuddly Koala at present...

* yes, I know...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this post is a month late but I just joined. I dont know about Pocket PC but for a laptop this works:
    1) Make a single or multiboot USB with ISO images : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-mu...multiboot-usb/
    2) Run the USB from within windows for free, http://mobalivecd.mobatek.net/en/
    It works on my laptop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemang Jesrani View Post
    I know this post is a month late but I just joined. I dont know about Pocket PC but for a laptop this works:
    1) Make a single or multiboot USB with ISO images : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-mu...multiboot-usb/
    2) Run the USB from within windows for free, http://mobalivecd.mobatek.net/en/
    It works on my laptop.
    I prefer the free utility called unetbootin, which gives a wide choice of Linux distributions to run from USB. There are versions for Winows machines to create the USB, too, so setting it up is simple. See <http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net> for info and to download.

David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys

This project got put on hold as the Pocket PC is running Windows ME and I created the bootable CD on an XP PC. The boot up failed as the config.sys file has to be edited to added a line of code to bypass a portion of the memory buffer which is not visible on the CDR so will probably work on the USB aspect of it.
    Jerry