Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Home networking

  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure if this belongs here or in the Windows 7 forum, but here goes...

    I have two Win 7 computers set up in a Homegroup sharing libraries and printers. Is it possible to have access to a complete disk or partition on one computer from the other? If so, how is it done?
    Regards,
    PaulB

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Not sure if this belongs here or in the Windows 7 forum, but here goes...

    I have two Win 7 computers set up in a Homegroup sharing libraries and printers. Is it possible to have access to a complete disk or partition on one computer from the other? If so, how is it done?
    Sure. Setup a file share at whatever level you want.

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Sure. Setup a file share at whatever level you want.

    Joe
    Thanks, Joe. I've never tried that before... works like a charm!
    Regards,
    PaulB

  4. #4
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Thanks, Joe. I've never tried that before... works like a charm!
    At root level you have what is called an Administrative Share, such as C$, set up automatically by Windows. This is usually used in the way you want, as in
    Code:
    NET USE S: \\theotherPC\C$ /p:n
    (or via Map Network Drive) but, as Jefferson says, you can set up a share at the same point, or to any other directory.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    At root level you have what is called an Administrative Share, such as C$, set up automatically by Windows. This is usually used in the way you want, as in
    Code:
    NET USE S: \\theotherPC\C$ /p:n
    (or via Map Network Drive) but, as Jefferson says, you can set up a share at the same point, or to any other directory.
    Thanks, BATcher. While I've had multiple computers connected to a bridge/switch/router/modem for quite some time to share an Internet connection, I've only recently tried to establish a home network where these computers can talk to each other. (It's amazing how long one can survive with SneakerNet!)

    This is new, uncharted territory so it is not clear to me how I should use/implement the advice you provide. Is there any advantage to this method as opposed to what I did: set the disk properties to share with everyone?
    Regards,
    PaulB

  6. #6
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    ...
    Is there any advantage to this method as opposed to what I did: set the disk properties to share with everyone?
    The main differences are:
    • Administrative shares can only be accessed by someone with a password for an account with administrator access
    • Administrative shares do not need to be configured by you, they are there already

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    The main differences are:
    • Administrative shares can only be accessed by someone with a password for an account with administrator access
    • Administrative shares do not need to be configured by you, they are there already
    Thanks, Stuart. I will do a bit more research into this.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •