4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope this forum is correct. I am struggling with changing a line of SQL being used in VB.Net. I am trying to change the line to include the Like syntax. The line is :

Dim sql As MySqlCommand = New MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM TXMasters WHERE TXMasters.Barcode='" & Search2.Text & "'", con)

Many thanks

PS I like the new site, looks very good!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does this do what you want?

Dim sql As MySqlCommand = New MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM TXMasters WHERE TXMasters.Barcode Like '*" & Search2.Text & "*'", con)

It's possible that you have to use % instead of * as wildcard, in that case, use

Dim sql As MySqlCommand = New MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM TXMasters WHERE TXMasters.Barcode Like '%" & Search2.Text & "%'", con)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Does this do what you want?

Dim sql As MySqlCommand = New MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM TXMasters WHERE TXMasters.Barcode Like '*" & Search2.Text & "*'", con)

It's possible that you have to use % instead of * as wildcard, in that case, use

Dim sql As MySqlCommand = New MySqlCommand("SELECT * FROM TXMasters WHERE TXMasters.Barcode Like '%" & Search2.Text & "%'", con)

Many thanks Hans, trust your well. The second suggestion works perfectly, the first did not work so you are correct in thinking twice. Wish everything was the same but that would be too easy. Best regards

Thanks
    Both ADODB and .NET use SQL rather than Access own hybrid,
    so Wild Card Operators are always % NOT *
    and also _ Not ?.

You should also use ' as the text delimiter rather than the more standard " in Access

Select * From tblMine Where Surname="Bob" would fail

Select * From tblMine Where Surname='Bob' would be OK.

Andrew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew. It's getting more and more complicated as things progress. I am now playing around with Visual Basic 2008 Express and MySql. It becomes so difficult knowing where to put questions within forums. I will remember your advice, thanks. Regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOR View Post
    Thanks Andrew. It's getting more and more complicated as things progress. I am now playing around with Visual Basic 2008 Express and MySql. It becomes so difficult knowing where to put questions within forums. I will remember your advice, thanks. Regards
    I'd be interested to know how you get on with MYSQL and VB Express 2008.
    VB Express seems to have limitations regarding connecting databases (unless you code the connections).
    I am just looking into a project with VB Net and MYSQL, but think I may well have to get
    Visual Studio rather than express.

Worth posting on the VB Net Forum though
    Andrew

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy am I struggling. There is a MySql connector that you can download to enable VB Express 2008 to connect to MySql. I am really struggling as I say because I am spending so much time trying to get forums that are lively to get answers. The whole technology I think has gone mad. I go though lots of sites only to find ASP, C+, Java, etc methods of doing things. I started off quickly I thought and then ran into a brick wall. In the past I worked with VB6, but the syntax and procedures are like a foreign language again. I think Microsoft wants us all to go down the road of using SQL Server. I watched a video on using Visual Studio connecting to SQL server, it all seemed very easy to build a database. However I never got hold of the Visual Studio 2008 Express which was free, and the Microsoft site seems to have dropped it but suggesting Visual Studio 2010 Beta (to try). Don't like the words to try, and wondered if it was another MS product that they decide when to kill it to make you buy it. I am not going to go down that road. So on I go wasting so much time. As you say, VB Express lends itself to connecting to Access and SQL Server, MySql is for those to find out things for themselves. Another thing I am finding is there are so many deviations on syntax to get the same thing, so you end up with bits and pieces that are difficult to understand and connect the next bit to. All I can say is good luck. Maybe you will get on better than me. Regards

Thanks
    I got this working, BUT it appears to be all code for connections rather than via the VBE.

Have a look at my thread

http://www.wopr.com/...howtopic=767971

Once I referenced the MYSQL Connector in the project the code worked just fine.
    Andrew