Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a problem with Adobe Flash on my new computer.

When I view embedded flash movies in either Firefox 3.5.4 or IE8 they cause the computer to lock up, it won't even respond to mouse movement or control-alt-del. After I use the reset button to restart the computer I see nothing helpful in the event log. I can usually view the first 2 to 5 minutes of the flash movie, but then the computer locks up. This affects all web sites including YouTube and BBC iPlayer.

I am running the latest version of Flash (10.0.32.18) for both browsers.
    I have the latest driver for my Asus ATi HD4890 graphics card
    I have no problems with any other application
    I can play DVDs using Microsoft Media player with no problems, so I guess the hardware is basically sound

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I have a problem with Adobe Flash on my new computer.

When I view embedded flash movies in either Firefox 3.5.4 or IE8 they cause the computer to lock up, it won't even respond to mouse movement or control-alt-del. After I use the reset button to restart the computer I see nothing helpful in the event log. I can usually view the first 2 to 5 minutes of the flash movie, but then the computer locks up. This affects all web sites including YouTube and BBC iPlayer.

I am running the latest version of Flash (10.0.32.18) for both browsers.
    I have the latest driver for my Asus ATi HD4890 graphics card
    I have no problems with any other application
    I can play DVDs using Microsoft Media player with no problems, so I guess the hardware is basically sound

Any suggestions?
    Have you had Task Manager or something similar running to see what if your CPU is being 100% consumed?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Have you had Task Manager or something similar running to see what if your CPU is being 100% consumed?

Joe
    'frayed knot. I could try but it feels like a hard hang rather than a CPU bound thing, especially as this is a Quad core system so something would have to use up 400% CPU to do that!

I will try a spare graphics card that I have found, when I get time to take it to pieces, to see what that does.

Administrator
    Thanks
    'frayed knot. I could try but it feels like a hard hang rather than a CPU bound thing, especially as this is a Quad core system so something would have to use up 400% CPU to do that!

I will try a spare graphics card that I have found, when I get time to take it to pieces, to see what that does.
    Which OS? Service pack? Is Flash an update or clean install? Have yo uninstalled & reinstalled Flash?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which OS? Service pack? Is Flash an update or clean install? Have yo uninstalled & reinstalled Flash?

Joe
    Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit with all Windows Update patches
    32 bit versions of IE8 and Firefox
    I have never used any earlier version of flash on this computer (I've only had it a few days)
    I tried a complete deinstall of Flash, reboot, run Flash Uninstall downloaded from here, and installing the debug version of flash from here - but it didn't help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit with all Windows Update patches
    32 bit versions of IE8 and Firefox
    I have never used any earlier version of flash on this computer (I've only had it a few days)
    I tried a complete deinstall of Flash, reboot, run Flash Uninstall downloaded from here, and installing the debug version of flash from here - but it didn't help.
    Have you tried clearing the cache for each browser?

Have you tried letting the video start then pausing it until the download it complete and then resuming the video?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried letting the video start then pausing it until the download it complete and then resuming the video?

Joe
    I will try both of those shortly, but I will finish this post first as when the computer hangs I am going to have to reset the computer and lose all my Windows.

To eliminate the graphics card and driver, I just swapped it out for an old graphics card from a different vendor. I started up an iPlayer session, a YouTube video and a video on the Guardian newspaper website and the PC locked up in less than a minute.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Joe
    I really do not believe this. I cleared the cache on both browsers and I have just had 3 YouTube videos playing on one screen at the same time as an iPlayer session running full screen on the other monitor for about 35 minutes with no hang.

THANK YOU, it would never have occurred to me that this could be a browser cache problem.

I will confirm that it is still working in a couple of days.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I really do not believe this. I cleared the cache on both browsers and I have just had 3 YouTube videos playing on one screen at the same time as an iPlayer session running full screen on the other monitor for about 35 minutes with no hang.

THANK YOU, it would never have occurred to me that this could be a browser cache problem.

I will confirm that it is still working in a couple of days.
    You're quite welcome. Amazing how often that little trick clears up strange problems.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You're quite welcome. Amazing how often that little trick clears up strange problems.

Joe
    I think I have discovered how the problem got into the cache of both browsers.

Does anyone else have problems playing this video http://www.guardian....ce-rosemary-lee

As soon as I tried playing this one again the hang happened, I have cleared the caches and it now all works again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I have discovered how the problem got into the cache of both browsers.

Does anyone else have problems playing this video http://www.guardian....ce-rosemary-lee

As soon as I tried playing this one again the hang happened, I have cleared the caches and it now all works again.
    Hi Stuart

IE8 on Windows XP no problem
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    No problem here either (IE8 on Windows XP SP3)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No problem on a Windows 7 machine running IE 8.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The situation now is that if I play any flash video from the Guardian web site then I get the hang within a few minutes. If I play two of them at the same time then it hangs within 30 seconds.

I managed to play two streaming videos from different television channels and 3 different YouTube streams for about 3 hours this morning and then it hung again. Without the Guardian web site being involved.

So, I still have some kind of problem, but I have no idea what it could be.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Stuart

It seems that other people are reporting hangs with Windows 7, one answer suggests a cheap new card which seems to do the trick

'Videos hang in windows 7
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast