Thanks
    What I know about Sharepoint is very small, but I've come across this question. Can you configure sharepoint so that users outside of your organization can log in and find information? Of course, they would need to be restricted to their data only.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    What I know about Sharepoint is very small, but I've come across this question. Can you configure sharepoint so that users outside of your organization can log in and find information? Of course, they would need to be restricted to their data only.
    Yes, SharePoint can be accessed by users outside the organization. Security in SharePoint is setup so that you can "security trim" just about anything. Technet information on MOSS start at SharePoint Server 2007. Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is the corresponding starting point for WSS.Planning and architecture for Office SharePoint Server 2007 is a must read.

Planning and governance for SharePoint rollouts can not be over emphasized.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    My company has put our sharepoint server on the internet, SSL-only. The external users need user accounts in AD (you can change their permissions so they can't actually log on to any computers).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Henson View Post
    My company has put our sharepoint server on the internet, SSL-only. The external users need user accounts in AD (you can change their permissions so they can't actually log on to any computers).
    You may use Forms Based Authentication so you don't have to add external users to your AD. See Configure forms-based authentication (Office SharePoint Server), Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog : Update on SharePoint forms based authentication(FBA) and Office client, & Forms Authentication in SharePoint Products and Technologies (Part 1): Introduction among other links from sharepoint forms based authentication - Bing.

Joe
    Joe