Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Despite what Brian says in Fixed items in known issues as of Day 2 at Item 4, as far as I can see links still open in the same window/tab.

Ian

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    Despite what Brian says in Fixed items in known issues as of Day 2 at Item 4, as far as I can see links still open in the same window/tab.
    Agreed - at first I thought Brian might have meant explicitly External links, as in external to wopr.com, but it seems all links....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As of yesterday, the Lounge is configured to launch all external (read: non-wopr.com) links in new tabs/windows. I'm seeing this behaving as expected in numerous threads, e.g. here, here, and here.

Are there any examples you can provide where this isn't working properly? Are they items in the site navigation, or links provided in posts?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Upon further inspection, IPBoard seems to be implementing this functionality via JavaScript rather than setting a target="_blank" attribute on each external tag. If you have JavaScript disabled/are blocking certain scripts via NoScript, this may explain why the feature doesn't appear to be working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Engler View Post
    Upon further inspection, IPBoard seems to be implementing this functionality via Javascript rather than setting a target="_blank" attribute on each external tag. If you have Javascript disabled/are blocking certain scripts via NoScript, this may explain why the feature doesn't appear to be working.
    The external link in this post opens in a new tab, but the one in this post doesn't... :shrug:

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahh, some of the pages are cached in memory and apparently not picking up the configuration change.

I purged the cache and the link in your latter post now opens in a new tab.

Thanks, Ian and Leif!

Thanks
    Ahh, some of the pages are cached in memory and apparently not picking up the configuration change.

I purged the cache and the link in your latter post now opens in a new tab.

Thanks, Ian and Leif!
    And thank you for sorting it out.

Ian

Thanks
    As of yesterday, the Lounge is configured to launch all external (read: non-wopr.com) links....
    Minor detail, but hovering your cursor over a non-external link - i.e. at wopr.com - invokes a pop-up saying it is an external link!

[attachment=86395:x5.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The links to Woody's articles on WindowsSecrets and to AskWoody still open in the same tab/window.

Thanks
    ...and links to (some) member's profile 'homepage' have gained an unwanted prefix:

[attachment=86396:x5.gif]

The above example actually links to "http://www.wopr.com/www.access-experts.com":

[attachment=86397:x5.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Minor detail, but hovering your cursor over a non-external link - i.e. at wopr.com - invokes a pop-up saying it is an external link!
    Fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    The links to Woody's articles on WindowsSecrets and to AskWoody still open in the same tab/window.
    Fixed!

...and links to (some) member's profile 'homepage' have gained an unwanted prefix:

[attachment=86396:x5.gif]

The above example actually links to "http://www.wopr.com/www.access-experts.com":

[attachment=86397:x5.gif]
    This is because the user has failed to add a protocol (e.g. http://) onto the beginning of their URL. Theoretically, IPBoard could recognize and resolve such circumstances, but it obviously doesn't.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Fixed!
    Fixed!
    This is because the user has failed to add a protocol (e.g. http://) onto the beginning of their URL. Theoretically, IPBoard could recognize and resolve such circumstances, but it obviously doesn't.
    Thanks for the fixes and explanation!

I still have a slight issue with internal links not opening in new tabs/windows. For example, say I am writing this reply to you, and mid sentence, decide I want to check your profile, or follow a link to another post. I click on the link and it opens up in the same tab. As I want to return to where I was, I click back to find the editor window still has the text I had written, but it is not possible to carry on using the editor - you simply can't get focus or insert the cursor within the text. Fortunately you can copy the text to the clipboard and start afresh, but it is annoying!

Is there a reason for having different behaviour for internal and external links?

Thanks
    I still have a slight issue with internal links not opening in new tabs/windows. For example, say I am writing this reply to you, and mid sentence, decide I want to check your profile, or follow a link to another post. I click on the link and it opens up in the same tab.
    I believe it would be possible to have special behavior in a page where someone is composing a reply. One possibility is to serve the page with target="_blank" attributes in the links, even though they normally are not there, at the risk of befuddling a user occasionally. Another is to wire a script to each link that displays a warning to the user that they will lose their work if they continue (and allows the user to cancel navigation). Less befuddling, but potentially more annoying.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a reason for having different behaviour for internal and external links?
    Forcing external links to open in a new window is a feature inherent to IPBoard 3.x (although, as we've seen, it is not without complications) so enabling that bit of functionality required one click of a button. The other links, such as those in the footer, aren't part of posts, and thus involved additional skin work.

That said, it's generally considered bad form in usability/user experience circles to open links in new windows or tabs. If a user wants to open a link in a new window/tab, modern browsers allow them to Shift+Click, Ctrl+Click, or middle-click said link. Overriding that browser functionality and forcing them to open links in new windows is a surefire way to frustrate a sizable percentage of your userbase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast