Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Last year on about two dozen computers we purchased, I had to uninstall the preloaded Office 2007 and then install our older Office 2000 until we roll all the computers forward to Office 2007. Obstacles have delayed that change over.

    When Office 2007 was uninstalled, I also uninstalled SQL Server 2005 and all the other related items in Add/Remove. This was done before installing Office 2000.

    Now along comes MS Update for SQL Server 2005 SP2 (KB960089). It comes up as a needed update, even though SQL Server 2005 was uninstalled, and naturally fails I assume because it can't find the installation.

    Has anyone else run into this? I'd like to know what it is still lingering on these computers that trips this in the updates so I can remove it. Suggestions?
    Daisy

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    Last year on about two dozen computers we purchased, I had to uninstall the preloaded Office 2007 and then install our older Office 2000 until we roll all the computers forward to Office 2007. Obstacles have delayed that change over.

    When Office 2007 was uninstalled, I also uninstalled SQL Server 2005 and all the other related items in Add/Remove. This was done before installing Office 2000.

    Now along comes MS Update for SQL Server 2005 SP2 (KB960089). It comes up as a needed update, even though SQL Server 2005 was uninstalled, and naturally fails I assume because it can't find the installation.

    Has anyone else run into this? I'd like to know what it is still lingering on these computers that trips this in the updates so I can remove it. Suggestions?
    Do you have MSDE installed? Or Windows Internal Database?

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Do you have MSDE installed? Or Windows Internal Database?

    Joe
    Sorry it took me so long to reply back. I've been out sick with food poisoning.

    Neither are on these workstations.

    They do have MSXML 4.0 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 Parser. Do these have anything to do with this?
    Daisy

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to reply back. I've been out sick with food poisoning.

    Neither are on these workstations.

    They do have MSXML 4.0 SP2 and MSXML 6.0 Parser. Do these have anything to do with this?
    The XML parsers would not be involved. Have you checked any of the PCs to see if any SQL related service is running? Are you sure that SQL server or any of its various incarnations was uninstalled and not just disabled?

    Joe
    Joe

  5. #5
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Thank you for reminding me to look the services. The workstations with the problem all have these:

    SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ)
    SQL Server Active Directory Helper
    SQL Server Browser

    One workstation also has SQL Server VSS Writer in addition to the above.

    Looks like I just need to services then? Sorry I didn't think of services sooner. SO glad you're here. Thank you.
    Daisy

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    Thank you for reminding me to look the services. The workstations with the problem all have these:

    SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ)
    SQL Server Active Directory Helper
    SQL Server Browser

    One workstation also has SQL Server VSS Writer in addition to the above.

    Looks like I just need to services then? Sorry I didn't think of services sooner. SO glad you're here. Thank you.

    SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) could be from Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager or Microsoft Office Accounting. You should be able to uninstall either. The other SQL server services are like part of that install also.

    If there is nothing obvious in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs you could try http://www.revouninstaller.com/.

    Joe
    Joe

  7. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If there is nothing obvious in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs you could try http://www.revouninstaller.com/.
    That Revou Installer looks interesting and I'll try that in the future, but for this I couldn't find a way to use it because the primary parts of SQL Server 2005 were already uninstalled.

    What did work was first removing MSXML 6.0 Parser, if it existed still in the Add/Remove. This is apparenty a component of the SQL Server 2005 and wasn't needed by any other app on the workstations. Next I made sure the SQL services, if any, were stopped and disabled, and deleted the SQL program folder. Next I installed and ran Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove what was left of it. After that the Microsoft Updates ran fine and stopped erring on the service pack.
    Daisy

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,571
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    What did work was first removing MSXML 6.0 Parser, if it existed still in the Add/Remove. This is apparenty a component of the SQL Server 2005 and wasn't needed by any other app on the workstations. Next I made sure the SQL services, if any, were stopped and disabled, and deleted the SQL program folder. Next I installed and ran Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove what was left of it. After that the Microsoft Updates ran fine and stopped erring on the service pack.
    SQL Server can be a mess to manage. Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for posting your solution.

    Joe
    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •