Thanks
    These suggestions are really only for putting on the list, since they are not particularly important. The two matters are somewhat linked, though, and some people get quite worked up about them...

Substituting characters
    Throughout this post I am leaving a blank between characters to show the result of not leaving a blank between characters (if you see what I mean!)...

I've noticed in another post that someone trying to refer to the C: drive
    managed to get (C) from ( C ).
    However (C results from ( C : ),
    whereas (C results from leaving a space before the colon in ( C : ) and no other spaces.
    There may be other unexpected and unwanted results of this type.

Smilies
    A similar result occurs with some of the Smilies: results in : o , from : D , from : P , from B ) , from ; ) , to say nothing of those composed with various combinations of which is - _ -.

Suggestions
    1) List all the character substitutions which are available, and determine whether people are likely to want to use ( C ) rather than the copyright symbol (c) ... and so on.
    2) Repeating a previous suggestion, cause all Smilies to be invoked by the character sequence :sometext:, which should 'never' appear in normal writing. Most of them are like that, anyway, and there are just some which aren't (as above).
    3) Consider whether many/most of the old Smilies from the old Lounge can be reintroduced. Perhaps even have a Popularity Poll?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    4) Get rid of smilies and other character substitutions altogether. We're techie people, we can turn our heads 90 degrees to the left to see a smile
    Christopher Baldrey

Brian Livingston
    If IPB 3.0 is executing substitutions that might affect ordinary writing, that's a big concern to me. You're right that no one would type :sometext: (with colons) in a normal sentence. The person clearly is using a substitution that was learned previously. But it's easy for me to imagine someone writing C in parens to try to suggest a copyright symbol. They should never get a smiley or anything else, especially because the switcheroo might not be noticed by the poster when the post is saved.

I agree with you that today's minor level of substitutions is not a Priority-1 issue. However, Dan and I should look at the substition function in IPB to see exactly what it's doing. We'll report back in a few days, at most.

Thanks for reporting this.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with you that there sometimes are some problems.

The quite commonly occurring B ) can perhaps be avoided if using some BB code for lists, or simply:
    A.
    B. etc.

I agree that it can happen that one stumbles on these "emoticons", when one least expect it (but I guess that it depends on how much work one put in the post etc.). However, it is possible to disable them in Post Options. But that has no effect on substituting characters, such as (c). Perhaps good for the Lounge pedant(TM).
    [attachment=86348:Post_options.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian Livingston
    This issue has been fixed. A few keyboard shortcuts that transformed text into emoticons (which can be very confusing to users and hard for them to fix) have had colons added. The requirement is that shortcuts must be surrounded by colons, a rule that 23 of the emoticons already followed.

Please see documentation in Post 768410 of the shortcuts that changed. Thanks for reporting this.

Thanks
    Good stuff, Brian, and continued enthusiasm for my suggestion 3, above!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...