Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V stopped working in Windows Explorer. When I try to select a range of files, the screen just locks up and nothing happens! Anybody have any suggestions?

Doug

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How large and how many files are you trying to copy and paste?

I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    ...I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.
    Deacon37, if you don't know what the click & drag method is, you need to hold down the Ctrl key while you are clicking & dragging HTH
    Gre

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon37 View Post
    For some reason, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V stopped working in Windows Explorer. When I try to select a range of files, the screen just locks up and nothing happens! Anybody have any suggestions?
    Do you get the same problem with Ctrl+Insert (copy) and Shift+Insert (paste)?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not large, and only a few...
    I've never tried click & drag, but when I do, it only creates copies in the same directory...
    Surprisingly, when I booted up this morning, it's working fine!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    How large and how many files are you trying to copy and paste?

I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never tried these before... that combination of keys seems awkward. My problem was in trying to select a range of files... i.e., highlight a file - move down a number of files and Shft/click another file to select the range;

Or, highlight a file, hold the Ctrl key down and select another file down the list.

When I tried to do that, the screen froze.

Now, it seems to be a moot point, because it's working this morning!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Do you get the same problem with Ctrl+Insert (copy) and Shift+Insert (paste)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Lots of problems disappear after a reboot, so you should always try that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW I never use copy/paste in the Explorer....I use RIGHT CLICK and DRAG
    After you drag your selected file(s) over the destination folder (the folder turns blue) you then release the mouse button

You get a context menu with options....copy, move, create shortcut, or cancel
    Now you get to decide if you want to move or copy the files, or just shortcut to them. And you always get the CANCEL option.

Much better control than the Windows defaults.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does [Crtl] + C and [Crtl] + V work in other contexts such as in a text document?
    I suggest you check this. If it does not work in other contexts, the hot key (keyboard shortcut) mappings may have been changed. Most software that I have seen that support hot keys avoid key combinations that are already in common use by Windows but some badly written software you recently installed might have remapped the Hot key combination.
    Another culprit could be a malfunctioning [Ctrl] key.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    Does [Crtl] + C and [Crtl] + V work in other contexts such as in a text document?
    I suggest you check this. If it does not work in other contexts, the hot key (keyboard shortcut) mappings may have been changed. Most software that I have seen that support hot keys avoid key combinations that are already in common use by Windows but some badly written software you recently installed might have remapped the Hot key combination.
    Another culprit could be a malfunctioning [Ctrl] key.
    Although the problem fixed itself after I rebooted, I was not able to perform any task with the Ctrl key combinations within Windows Explorer... the window simply froze when I highlighted a file, pressed Ctrl or Shft + any key. Nothing worked, but when I rebooted, everything returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the problem. Doug

New Lounger
    Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands
    Thanks
    Although the problem fixed itself after I rebooted, I was not able to perform any task with the Ctrl key combinations within Windows Explorer... the window simply froze when I highlighted a file, pressed Ctrl or Shft + any key. Nothing worked, but when I rebooted, everything returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the problem. Doug
    That sounds like the kind of behaviour caused by a stuck <Alt> or <Shift> key. If that's the case, the problem will probably appear again sooner or later. Tapping those keys repeatedly may solve the problem momentarily, but when this happens regularly replacing the keyboard is the only real cure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [chuckle] I also just realized that it's been quite a while since I replaced the batteries in my wireless keyboard! I'm sure that might have something to do with the problem ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon37 View Post
    [chuckle] I also just realized that it's been quite a while since I replaced the batteries in my wireless keyboard! I'm sure that might have something to do with the problem ...
    That should help
    Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click and drag as described by Don is a good tip, but you can also force a copy for files by using Ctrl-drag and you can force a move by using Shift-drag.
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Graham View Post
    FWIW I never use copy/paste in the Explorer....I use RIGHT CLICK and DRAG
    After you drag your selected file(s) over the destination folder (the folder turns blue) you then release the mouse button

You get a context menu with options....copy, move, create shortcut, or cancel
    Now you get to decide if you want to move or copy the files, or just shortcut to them. And you always get the CANCEL option.

Much better control than the Windows defaults.
    Gem of a tip. I often left click and drag without first thinking if I want to copy or move. Thanks!
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast