Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Booneville, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For some reason, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V stopped working in Windows Explorer. When I try to select a range of files, the screen just locks up and nothing happens! Anybody have any suggestions?

    Doug

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    How large and how many files are you trying to copy and paste?

    I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  3. #3
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Vienna, Wien, Austria
    Posts
    5,009
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    ...I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.
    Deacon37, if you don't know what the click & drag method is, you need to hold down the Ctrl key while you are clicking & dragging HTH
    Gre

  4. #4
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,421
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon37 View Post
    For some reason, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V stopped working in Windows Explorer. When I try to select a range of files, the screen just locks up and nothing happens! Anybody have any suggestions?
    Do you get the same problem with Ctrl+Insert (copy) and Shift+Insert (paste)?
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Booneville, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not large, and only a few...
    I've never tried click & drag, but when I do, it only creates copies in the same directory...
    Surprisingly, when I booted up this morning, it's working fine!
    Doug



    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    How large and how many files are you trying to copy and paste?

    I very seldom use copy and paste to copy files, I would rather just use the click and drag method.

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Booneville, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never tried these before... that combination of keys seems awkward. My problem was in trying to select a range of files... i.e., highlight a file - move down a number of files and Shft/click another file to select the range;

    Or, highlight a file, hold the Ctrl key down and select another file down the list.

    When I tried to do that, the screen froze.

    Now, it seems to be a moot point, because it's working this morning!

    Doug


    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Do you get the same problem with Ctrl+Insert (copy) and Shift+Insert (paste)?

  7. #7
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Lots of problems disappear after a reboot, so you should always try that.


  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FWIW I never use copy/paste in the Explorer....I use RIGHT CLICK and DRAG
    After you drag your selected file(s) over the destination folder (the folder turns blue) you then release the mouse button

    You get a context menu with options....copy, move, create shortcut, or cancel
    Now you get to decide if you want to move or copy the files, or just shortcut to them. And you always get the CANCEL option.

    Much better control than the Windows defaults.

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does [Crtl] + C and [Crtl] + V work in other contexts such as in a text document?
    I suggest you check this. If it does not work in other contexts, the hot key (keyboard shortcut) mappings may have been changed. Most software that I have seen that support hot keys avoid key combinations that are already in common use by Windows but some badly written software you recently installed might have remapped the Hot key combination.
    Another culprit could be a malfunctioning [Ctrl] key.

  10. #10
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Booneville, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Palmer View Post
    Does [Crtl] + C and [Crtl] + V work in other contexts such as in a text document?
    I suggest you check this. If it does not work in other contexts, the hot key (keyboard shortcut) mappings may have been changed. Most software that I have seen that support hot keys avoid key combinations that are already in common use by Windows but some badly written software you recently installed might have remapped the Hot key combination.
    Another culprit could be a malfunctioning [Ctrl] key.
    Although the problem fixed itself after I rebooted, I was not able to perform any task with the Ctrl key combinations within Windows Explorer... the window simply froze when I highlighted a file, pressed Ctrl or Shft + any key. Nothing worked, but when I rebooted, everything returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the problem. Doug

  11. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Although the problem fixed itself after I rebooted, I was not able to perform any task with the Ctrl key combinations within Windows Explorer... the window simply froze when I highlighted a file, pressed Ctrl or Shft + any key. Nothing worked, but when I rebooted, everything returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the problem. Doug
    That sounds like the kind of behaviour caused by a stuck <Alt> or <Shift> key. If that's the case, the problem will probably appear again sooner or later. Tapping those keys repeatedly may solve the problem momentarily, but when this happens regularly replacing the keyboard is the only real cure.

  12. #12
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Booneville, Arkansas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [chuckle] I also just realized that it's been quite a while since I replaced the batteries in my wireless keyboard! I'm sure that might have something to do with the problem ...

  13. #13
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    A Magic Forest in Deepest, Darkest Kent
    Posts
    5,681
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon37 View Post
    [chuckle] I also just realized that it's been quite a while since I replaced the batteries in my wireless keyboard! I'm sure that might have something to do with the problem ...
    That should help
    Jerry

  14. #14
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right click and drag as described by Don is a good tip, but you can also force a copy for files by using Ctrl-drag and you can force a move by using Shift-drag.
    Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

  15. #15
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    15
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Graham View Post
    FWIW I never use copy/paste in the Explorer....I use RIGHT CLICK and DRAG
    After you drag your selected file(s) over the destination folder (the folder turns blue) you then release the mouse button

    You get a context menu with options....copy, move, create shortcut, or cancel
    Now you get to decide if you want to move or copy the files, or just shortcut to them. And you always get the CANCEL option.

    Much better control than the Windows defaults.
    Gem of a tip. I often left click and drag without first thinking if I want to copy or move. Thanks!
    "Campaigns to bear-proof all garbage containers in wild areas have been difficult because, as
    one biologist put it, `There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the
    smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.'
    Richard Wabrek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •