4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to goto a heading number in Word? For example, Goto '3.2.2'.
    Thanks.
    Robie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Is it possible to goto a heading number in Word? For example, Goto '3.2.2'.
    In theory, yes you can do this.
    On the bottom right, there is a small button at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar that allows you to select the 'Browse Object', click on it and you get the choice of page, endnote, footnote, heading etc. Select Heading, then double click on the 'goto' ares (bottom left, showing Page, Section details). The Go To dialog box appears, and you can enter the heading number you want.

In theory you can do this, but it doesn't work for me - I'm working on an old document based on an even older template, so maybe the heading numbers are out of order, but it may work for you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    In theory, yes you can do this.
    On the bottom right, there is a small button at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar that allows you to select the 'Browse Object', click on it and you get the choice of page, endnote, footnote, heading etc. Select Heading, then double click on the 'goto' ares (bottom left, showing Page, Section details). The Go To dialog box appears, and you can enter the heading number you want.

In theory you can do this, but it doesn't work for me - I'm working on an old document based on an even older template, so maybe the heading numbers are out of order, but it may work for you.
    Thanks Gman. ;0). I tried that already but no joy. I am working to a newish template (Word 2003) & doc is brand new.

Any other ideas anyone?
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It does work, but not in the way Robie wants.

The dialog (which is the same as the one displayed by selecting Edit | Go to... or by pressing Ctrl+G) lets you enter a number. If you enter 5, you'll be taken to the 5th heading in the document, regardless of its level. Entering a multi-level number such as 3.1.2 won't work.

I don't know of a way to do what Robie wants in the interface; it might be possible to create a macro for this purpose but that seems overkill.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Thanks Gman. ;0). I tried that already but no joy. I am working to a newish template (Word 2003) & doc is brand new.

Any other ideas anyone?
    You can always use the Document Map which you can toggle on and off using the View Menu (or bring up by switching to the Online Layout View)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    It does work, but not in the way Robie wants.

The dialog (which is the same as the one displayed by selecting Edit | Go to... or by pressing Ctrl+G) lets you enter a number. If you enter 5, you'll be taken to the 5th heading in the document, regardless of its level. Entering a multi-level number such as 3.1.2 won't work.

I don't know of a way to do what Robie wants in the interface; it might be possible to create a macro for this purpose but that seems overkill.
    Thanks Hans as usual.

No, I don't want a macro - that would indeed be an overkill. I just thought it would work.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    You can always use the Document Map which you can toggle on and off using the View Menu (or bring up by switching to the Online Layout View)
    Perfect. That is just perfect. Thanks Gman. Now, why didn't I think of that :-(.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    But be careful - Document Map may modify your document without telling you...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    But be careful - Document Map may modify your document without telling you...
    Thanks for the warning Hans.

Hmm! How does is modify the document? Should I not use it then? Nothing else seems to work & I need to go between different headings quite frequently.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Document Map sometimes applies outline levels to short paragraphs that look like a heading but aren't. See for example How Document Map works in Microsoft Word.