Thread: mshta.exe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have recently been having lots of hiccups on my laptop
    A recent one lead me to a final file name that was operating and could not close
    I googled the file name and found that that if it was a part of System32 it was okay but if not could be malware, trojan etc etc

I did a FIND FILE and found the following (typed exactly from window - lower/upper etc)SEE SCREEN SHOT ATTACHED

MSHTA.EXE-331DF029.pf C:WINDOWS/Prefetch
    mshta. C:WINDOWS/System32
    mshta.exe.mui C:WINDOWS/system32/en-US

It may sound like I know what I am talking about but I really only know about what I read (dont be fooled)
    I googled this file as it came up after a long series of non-responding files
    I have no idea what this file is or what it does - just sending along what I found
    Is this anything I should address or remove?? ..... Or are these files Okay the way they are?

Thank you
    Kathleen
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Have recently been having lots of hiccups on my laptop
    A recent one lead me to a final file name that was operating and could not close
    I googled the file name and found that that if it was a part of System32 it was okay but if not could be malware, trojan etc etc

I did a FIND FILE and found the following (typed exactly from window - lower/upper etc)SEE SCREEN SHOT ATTACHED

MSHTA.EXE-331DF029.pf C:WINDOWS/Prefetch
    mshta. C:WINDOWS/System32
    mshta.exe.mui C:WINDOWS/system32/en-US
    It is a fairly uncommon Windows file which simply executes files with the extension .HTA. Read all about these files!

It seems surprising that this file would cause problems...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Is this anything I should address or remove?? ..... Or are these files Okay the way they are?

Thank you
    Kathleen
    I agree with BATcher that it wouldn't SEEM to be a problem having these files but you could always try renaming them to something like mshta.old or whatever and giving it a trial. ( it could be given it's original name back if it causes any glitches ) The file in the prefetch folder could be deleted without any qualms, if you wish. It would be recreated if necessary. If you DO see improvement with the renamed System32 file, then we could look deeper into this.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!