5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would be surprised if this question has not been asked before but I've tried searching The Lounge without any luck...

Is is possible to make Word use my default browser (Firefox), instead of automatically invoking IE, when I click on a hyperlink?

Our IT systems here do let IE access the outside world (considered to be too much of a security risk) so the default behaviour is not an option for me.

Thanks,

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    It might, I had already found that link via Google that but was hoping for a non-registry hack solution.

Another Google hit took me to a page at AllExperts, the reply to which boils down to, " Dunno, ask in The Lounge."

stuck

Thanks
    That registry change shouldn't be necessary. My links in Word launch in Firefox and I do not have that key.

Sometimes the Firefox installer goofs up the settings for url:http in the registry. If you have Windows XP, you can check this using the File Types dialog. No other reason for bad behavior comes to mind, unless it's an Office setting somewhere.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    That registry change shouldn't be necessary. My links in Word launch in Firefox and I do not have that key.

Sometimes the Firefox installer goofs up the settings for url:http in the registry. If you have Windows XP, you can check this using the File Types dialog. No other reason for bad behavior comes to mind, unless it's an Office setting somewhere.
    I've checked the equivalent File Types dialog in Win 2K and it was set to IE. However, changing it to FF doesn't help. I even tried a reboot to make sure the setting change had fully taken. Not had chance to try it on an XP machine yet.

I'm now wondering if it's a firewall issue. If our firewall is set to block Office apps from reaching outside, rather than looking to see what browser is behind the request from the Office app then even if I use a permitted browser the request will be denied.

stuck