Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm designing a course that will be a general review course for computer novices. One of the topic areas I want to cover is manipulating Digital Images.
    Just simple things like cropping and resizing.
    Since there are many digital software packages out there - my questions are:

    What is the best digital software package out there?
    What is the package most frequently used by beginners?

    I'm tempted to do it all in Microsoft Picture Manager - but I think that only comes with a full install of Office.
    Feedback is very welcome.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,583
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    I'm designing a course that will be a general review course for computer novices. One of the topic areas I want to cover is manipulating Digital Images.
    Just simple things like cropping and resizing.
    Since there are many digital software packages out there - my questions are:

    What is the best digital software package out there?
    What is the package most frequently used by beginners?

    I'm tempted to do it all in Microsoft Picture Manager - but I think that only comes with a full install of Office.
    Feedback is very welcome.
    Photo Gallery - Windows Live is free and works with XP, Vista, & Win7.

    Picasa 3: Free download from Google is another popular choice.

    Irfanview is another free popular tool. IMO, it is looking somewhat dated compared to the other two.

    Joe
    Joe

  3. #3
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    I don't know whether there are market share statistics for "less expensive" photo editing packages, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Adobe's Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop LE), Corel's Paint Shop Pro, and Ulead's PhotoImpact on the list because they have been "bundled" with a lot of products. (In looking up these titles, it seems that maybe Corel acquired Ulead??)

  4. #4
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    5,016
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another freebie, similar to Irfanview, but with a less obscure/more "modern" interface, is XnView - Free graphic and photo viewer, converter, organizer.

    In fact, there's a full xnview vs irfanview - Google Search topic.

    Alan

  5. #5
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    What is the best digital software package out there?
    What is the package most frequently used by beginners?
    I use Paint Shop Pro's latest version but I still think that Paint.NET is an excellent beginner tool. It's better than Windows Paint but less "complicated" than PSP or Photoshop or ...

    And, it's

  6. #6
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    5,016
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I use Paint Shop Pro's latest version but I still think that Paint.NET is an excellent beginner tool. It's better than Windows Paint but less "complicated" than PSP or Photoshop or ...

    And, it's
    Another good freebie in the "not too complicated" category is PhotoFiltre. Lots of features, filters etc. but not overwhelming either.

    Alan

  7. #7
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    This is great info guys - Exactly what I was looking for!
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    This is great info guys - Exactly what I was looking for!
    Catherine;

    Picasa is free and very easy to use. You can start with the simple stuff and use the more complicated features as you learn more.

  9. #9
    Uranium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,684
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    One more for the list is Gimp. Possibly the best of the Freeware.
    <IMG SRC=http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/DocWatson_sig.gif>

  10. #10
    Bronze Lounger IanWilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,523
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    One more for the list is Gimp.**Possibly the best of the Freeware.

    Hear, hear. It takes a bit of learning how to use it but you can do a great deal with it if you want to. There are good tutorials at*http://meetthegimp.org.

    Ian


  11. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I started as a beginner with Photoshop. I didn't know a thing about photo editing software but I found it pretty intuative to learn. I started with basic small stuff like resizing photos for the web. Once you get a feel for it, your definitly not limited by the software. It can do almost anything you could imagine. I'm glad I started with Photoshop because now I use many of it's powerful features. I have tried some of the other software mentioned here and they all have their good and bad points as does Photoshop. It's not free or even cheap but I'm a firm beliver in "You get what you pay for".
    Alan

  12. #12
    Uranium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,684
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    I started with Paint Shop Pro when it was free and moved to Photoshop. Like you I found it intuitive and with a few online tutorials, was able to do quite a bit with it initially.

    I mentioned GIMP because it is free, very powerful and there are many online tutorials for it.
    <IMG SRC=http://www.wopr.com/w3tuserpics/DocWatson_sig.gif>

  13. #13
    Bronze Lounger IanWilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,523
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Parris View Post
    I started as a beginner with Photoshop. I didn't know a thing about photo editing software but I found it pretty intuative to learn. I started with basic small stuff like resizing photos for the web. Once you get a feel for it, your definitly not limited by the software. It can do almost anything you could imagine. I'm glad I started with Photoshop because now I use many of it's powerful features. I have tried some of the other software mentioned here and they all have their good and bad points as does Photoshop. It's not free or even cheap but I'm a firm beliver in "You get what you pay for".
    Alan
    I'd love to use Photoshop, but I've just checked the current price for the UK and it is 614. I'm in a well-paid job, and I can't afford it, so I don't know how it is that it seems to be so widely used!


    Ian


  14. #14
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Eastern Canada
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll chime in with my love for XnView, it does most of the quick photo editing I need for a website I manage. If I need to use layers I use Paint.net.

  15. #15
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm a long-time user of PhotoShop, but quite recently I've stumbled on two very creative and _free_ online editors.

    The first one is Sumopaint (http://www.sumopaint.com/) - to my opinion more for creative artwork.

    And the other pick also doubles as a Firefox extension named pixlr (http://www.pixlr.com/), which is great for a quick fix.

    Amazed me, both of them.

    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •